Freedom Ranger parents

BackyardAR

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Malvern
So I've learned that the CXs are cornish males and white rock females, but if I wanted to rear my own freedom ranger chicks, what kind of cross would that be? Are they a simple cross of two breeds, or is it more difficult than that? For that matter are the CXs a simple cross of two breeds, or a cross of two breeds that have been genetically selected time and again?

Also, since I'm new and still researching, I've hinted around at this question already, but.... CXs seem to have issues with heat tolerance and this is going to be a long, hot summer. Someone said that the FRs don't have the same issues with heat. Can someone give me information about how well(or not) the FRs cope with heat into the 90s and higher.

Quote:
I think the Cornish Crosses are the end result of four lines/breeds that have been genetically selected over decades.

Just buy some rangers and keep a couple of the hens and a roo. and then you can bred your own. Tim do the freedom rangers crow alot?

Quote:
Good luck finding the temp that CXs start turning at. In my experience, last year. My 50 CXs did fine up until about 85 - 87 degrees, then I started losing 1 or 2 per day, this was after 5.5 weeks. My Freedom Rangers on the other hand are happily running around at 91 degrees, so long as they have shade and plenty of water. This is my personal experience, I didn't write a book or have any scientific measurements other than just the CXs started keeling over during the panting festival they were having in the heat.

Quote:
My cockerels started around 9 weeks. They're not especially vocal, but that might have something to do with the fact that there is already a dominant rooster in the yard.

So, freedom rangers will breed true?

As much as I like the minimaxing of CX breed chickens, the more research I do, the less I find them suitable for central Arkansas. Most of my sustainabilty research has actually gone this same direction. Aquaponics (fish water feeding hydro plants) absolutely thrives with tilapia. Summers are great for tilapia here, but overwintering them would be very difficult, and restarting a system that big every year is daunting.

So, I'm looking for my best bet of hot and cold weather year round producers of meat. I don't want to run a commercial operation with heaters, fans, etc. I pretty much want to stick to tractors. More and more it's looking like FRs are the way to go.

Anyone else have a belly button on this one?

The "Freedom Rangers" are a hybrid ( cross between 2 or more breeds or lines) chicken, therefor they MAY breed close to themselves, however the offspring may revert back to the grandparent or greatgrandparent lines. The same way as the Cornish X's or any hybrid animal does.

I have five big 13 week old Freedom Rangers in my yard now, and they seem to be doing fine. Temps have been in the upper 90s with low 100s coming up this week.

Quote:
Freedom Rangers, being a hybrid, won't breed true. But, it doesn't seem anyone here has bred them to know how far the offspring wander from the parents. I think there are a number of us who are hoping to breed them this fall, so more information should be available in a few months.

I think you might want to look into Buckeyes or Brahmas (or a couple other breeds) if you are anxious to get going right away and want proven producers though they aren't in the same category as the Rangers or Cornish Crosses as far as early and large growth.

Back
Top Bottom