Freedom Rangers and Bullying

Stuart309

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 4, 2011
I spent some time out with the 48 FR we have (62 days old at the time) and was surprised to see some of the largest ones bullying the others, especially around the feeder. They would peck at them and drive them away. I added another feeder but the bullying persists. Have others observed this behavior? It means that some of the smaller birds in particular are picked on and have a difficult time feeding unless there are no other birds at the feeders.

Tough situation but I think you know which ones to process first.
lol.png

Thanks for all the suggestions, which I might well try next time. Tomorrow we are processing all of the FR save the underweight ones, so some of the victims of the bullying will have more time to grow and enjoy life. We plan to add our 45 CX (aged 30 days) to the fenced area where the victims (aged 66 days) will hold sway we hope as mentors over the CX, teaching them the delights of far flung foraging, and calmer and more polite eating habits...for how long, I wonder?

As well as the solution to bullying, I was wondering how prevalent it is among FRs. It has been unpleasant to see this bullying, and I'm wondering if it's something to expect when you raise FRs.

I had 50 FR's with 3 feeders and didn't notice any problems .When they went to freezer camp they were very close in weight 4.4 -4.8 hens ,5.2-5.8 roos.

Back
Top Bottom