Freedom Rangers as layers

sparrow55

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2020
So I have a young flock of layers, Cream Leg bars, Silver Dorkings, Bielfelders and Dark Brahmans, all 5 months old in November. I purchased some year and a half old birds from a neighbor farmer, as I wanted eggs now, and I bought 5 Freedom Rangers and 4 Blue Plymouths. The Freedom Rangers are laying some gorgeous and enormous eggs, and they are a nice bird. I do not eat my hens, and always let them live out their natural life, as they are great insect control and free range, chickens are a love of life for me, and a hobby. This is first time I have had Freedom Rangers, never even heard of them until Saturday. How long will they live if left alone and cared for well? They are really nicely tempered and cold hardy for this Vermont weather. Please no judge, I just do not slaughter my hens, and that is my one of my many quirks. Thanks if you know.

So I have a young flock of layers, Cream Leg bars, Silver Dorkings, Bielfelders and Dark Brahmans, all 5 months old in November. I purchased some year and a half old birds from a neighbor farmer, as I wanted eggs now, and I bought 5 Freedom Rangers and 4 Blue Plymouths. The Freedom Rangers are laying some gorgeous and enormous eggs, and they are a nice bird. I do not eat my hens, and always let them live out their natural life, as they are great insect control and free range, chickens are a love of life for me, and a hobby. This is first time I have had Freedom Rangers, never even heard of them until Saturday. How long will they live if left alone and cared for well? They are really nicely tempered and cold hardy for this Vermont weather. Please no judge, I just do not slaughter my hens, and that is my one of my many quirks. Thanks if you know.
No judging here, a lot of people don't eat their layers. I think they're less at risk if health issues than cornishX, but I'd still make sure they're moving and not just sitting and eating all day.

Also side qyesrion, but didn't want to make a huge thread for just the simple question. If you ordered your dorkings, were they the same size as standard chicks or were they like bantam size because of their legs?

No judging here, a lot of people don't eat their layers. I think they're less at risk if health issues than cornishX, but I'd still make sure they're moving and not just sitting and eating all day.

Also side qyesrion, but didn't want to make a huge thread for just the simple question. If you ordered your dorkings, were they the same size as standard chicks or were they like bantam size because of their legs?
they were all the same size as the other chicks except one runt, she is slightly smaller still, but not banty size

Back
Top Bottom