Freedom Rangers breed true?

RebelsHope

Songster
12 Years
Jul 27, 2007
wisconsin
This is going to be my first go about with meat chickens. I have layers now, but with the prices of things going up I thought I would try some meat chickens. I have been reading the praises of Freedom Rangers on here. I was wondering what would happen if I ordered some extra and made my own flock. Has anyone kept some hens and a roo and see what the chicks are like? Or is this something I will have to reorder every year?

Also any advice for a first timer? I know not to name them.

I have found a place to process them. I forgot to ask about how much it would cost to process. I read on the internet that it would be about $2.40- $2.75 does that sound about right?

All meat broilers are hybrids, so they will not breed true. You need to order chicks each year, unless you can work out a breeding program for yourself.

I pay $5-$7 per bird for processing. But everything costs more in the PNW.

Quote:
Yep.... dang feed went up in cost another 30% between Feb and March!
th.gif

in the last 3 months, my feed bill has gone up 50%. this is ridiculous.

i let all my customers know that i'm raising my egg prices and they said okay....i was like, why didn't i raise it before? :|

grey, didn't you keep some of the FRs to see how they would do?

Yes. I have two "Gourmet Blacks" which run with my laying flock. I crossed them to a Dark Cornish. I have chicks in the brooder now... I just can't tell which are DC x FR versus DC x BSL.

I should take some more photos of them. It's hard to say how they're growing since they're in there with ducks and geese.

Back
Top Bottom