Freedom Rangers' Eggs: Are they Always smallish

i have six freedom rangers, 1 has always laid 2-3 yoke eggs and the rest lay small eggs they are 6 month old now.

Today I got an interesting FR egg--capsule-shaped--and I can hardly tell which end is which! It is just shy of 3" long. Here it is in between two other FR eggs...shows the variation in size. White egg on top is a store-bought large egg for comparison. The one on the left is 2-1/2" and the hen that laid it is the one I thought was the first to lay. Our FRs are 18 weeks now and have been busy the past few days--it appears that at least five of the six girls are laying. I've noticed a lot more soft-shell/no-shell eggs with the FR than my laying breeds have had. I just put some oyster shell in their pen.

This morning I heard a ruckus of many voices in the chicken yard and wondered what was going on. I hurried down expecting to see some trouble and all 23 birds were acting normal. All I found was eggs--some still warm. They must really be into cheering each other on with the egg song chorus!

56316_fr_eggs_092310.jpg

One of mine lays eggs with brown speckles. Some are quite light. I think the variety is just another indication that these chickens are a big mix.

Back
Top Bottom