Freedom Rangers out of buisness

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by freeholdfarms, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Peruvian

Peruvian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Vermont
    Interesting. I had received a reply from them just a week or two ago saying that they wouldn't be able to fulfill orders until later in the year, but no suggestion that they were going out of business. I wanted to order between 25-50 in late August for an November harvest.

2. hazelton farms

hazelton farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    NC
    Oh that stinks. I kept going back and forth to their website thinking about ordering... I missed my chance!! [​IMG]

Stacy

3. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    you have got to be kidding me! i just sold my last 30 htis past sunday thinking i could order more! if i knew they were going out of business i would have kept them!!!! [​IMG]

4. eaemnc

eaemnc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2007
    Oh MY GOSH!!!!!!! I just noticed this post looking for when to stop feeding medicated feed!!
    I just e-mailed someone that I'll order again and gave him info to order it'd be less expensive for him to order than drive to my house.
    These chickens will be ready to process in 2 weeks!! I am a NEWBIE with a capital N!! We have a small hen that would be GREAT if she'd lay eggs I was going to put her into her own box and feed her seperate to fatten her up for processing. I could keep the sturdiest rooster in the box and the small hen or.... (shrug) We have 46 total one has a messed up leg and is in his own box to eat and is getting HUGE!! LOL!!
    I'll have to check the site for myself I was wondering if we'd order again this year or wait until next. I should call Barbara and find out what the HECK is going on. They were doing GREAT and came here from Europe! They have years and years of experiance with these Rangers as they were the original breeders. They sold the ones that were best this Spring. I'll have to tell the two others who bought from me!
    Mick is VERY smart I wonder what he thinks of this? He and Greyfields have LOTS of info. about chickens and I usually contact them for answering questions!!
    What a bummer I should have checked this sooner! I just had a baby girl and have been quite busy between her, the chickens, my 4 sons and husband!!
    Greyfields I have NEVER raised any chickens prior to this spring. I have 18 hens and 2 of which are Buff Orpingtons for my Broody hens. I'm sure they will sit the eggs but what will the chickens be like from the eggs? I'd be afraid that the Rangers I pull to try and raise would EXPLODE!! They are big birds!!
    Please let me know and maybe we can petition Barbara to keep it going or get us instructions on how to raise these birds ourselves (shrug)?

God Bless you all and your families,

Ann
    Ohio Freedom Ranger owner (for now)

5. tberggren

tberggren Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Ithaca NY
    I think I must of been one of the last orders to be shipped. Thank goodness I had prepaid!! I have fifteen and will be saving the best, not sure just what for because I have no idea how the offspring come out.

But I was planning on saving either some hens or a Roo anyway just to cross with some of my heavy breed layers to see what I got.

It certainly is to sad, I hope they are able to pull through and get back in business later on.

Theresa

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  6. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    Wow, I'm very disappointed as well. I haven't ordered anything from them yet, but I was certainly planning on it as soon as I could justify the 50-bird minimum order... [​IMG] I visted their web-site often, while I would think and re-think what I could do...

As others have said, I really hope that someone else gets ahold of the breeding stock. People like most of us need more meat-bird choices. Commercial Cornish Crosses are probably best suited to commerical growers.

On a personal note, I wonder if something tragic may have happened(?) Such an abrupt departure from business operations could be a sign.

7. blue90292

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    well, i sent her an email letting her know whatever happened, my prayers are with her and her family.

8. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Let me know if you get a reply from Barbra. She is a Canadian that could not get around the import rules here so she went to the states to start up there. Maybe she has returned to do the business here. She had a start up going here to launch this year, or maybe that is gone too.

either way our loss for sure. I could not wait to try them.

9. blue90292

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    she replied and said thank you to my email.

yes, definitely a great loss for us also.

10. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    It's always a little suscipicous to me when people with new ideas which could threaten the status quo mysteriously go out of business or drop off the face of the earth.

I'll definitely be holidng back a few golden rangers fromt his next batch to fiddle with.

I guess now, let's talk about red/black broilers. Who's raised them and has weight and FCR data on them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by