freedom rangers

I know they're meat but has anyone kept a hen long enough to lay? They're supposed to be a mix of heritage type birds and I was thinking of using a roo with a BR to get some bsl's but if they don't lay well....
hmm.png

Quote:
I have two Freedom Ranger hens that I kept. They are doing fine, and laying good. My problem is the Cornish x and Buff Orp cross is to stupid to be a rooster. Then are very hardy. They love to come out and eat grass when I open the coop door. They look like they are grazing. Good luck.

I have a roo and five hens kept from last year's Freedom Ranger meat flock. Out of five hens we've averaged two eggs a day all winter. So they don't earn their keep as layers, but our purpose was more to hatch meaties this year. There are also two RIR hens and two BO hens in with them. We have been hatching their eggs this spring. So far one FR X FR and one FR X RIR are growing well at one month of age. Five more FR X FR hatched a few days ago, with a few more in the incubator and two under a broody silkie. As an experiment we'll just keep incubating and using broodies and see how the offspring develop as meat birds. The parents are out foraging every day and the roo is a good protector and fertilizer. He weighs 15# though, and the hens are 10-12# each. One drawback is the hens are molting now and slowly so they look messy. Maybe egg production will increase when they're out of molt.

Hey, thanks for the response! Sounds like I should try the bsl idea and just sell the big girls as possibly decent layers(and eat the roos!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom