1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Freeloadin' Hens in Phoenix

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by horsefeathers09, Dec 30, 2009.

1. horsefeathers09

horsefeathers09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I have 6 hens 1 to 2 1/2 yrs old, live in arizona where the temps are about 45 at night and 60 during the day for an average. All but 1 hen has quit laying for about a month now. [​IMG] Last year they produced all through the winter, so I guess this is why I'm a bit concerned. Oh, and no, I don't have a light on them to extend daylight - nor a heat lamp in their coop - never have. They have a nice set-up, good air flow, clean, with full shelter from inclement weather - and are free range. Thanks, amy

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    They might be moulting....

How old are they? This can make a difference.

Have you recently changed their feed, this can make a difference.

I bet you do miss your eggs, Hope they start back up for you really soon.

3. horsefeathers09

horsefeathers09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Yes, actually I did change their feed. They are 1 yr and none older than 2.5. Gosh it never dawned on me the feed change could alter production. Thanks

4. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    It is molting season and most chickens will slow in laying or stop all together when they are molting. I bet if you just give it til we start getting warmer weather your eggs will start showing up.

5. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    moulting and the feed change is my guess

6. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I'm in pretty much the same situation. 6 hens and none are laying! Last year I just had two, and they laid all winter like champs, I never thought twice about it. Now the older two have finished a hard molt, and today one of them squatted for me![​IMG] Her comb is red, and soon I will have eggs! Hopefully the others will soon follow suit.....I wouldn't worry too much about yours if they seem healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by