Freeranging unsupervised?

I let my two hens out every evening for an hour or two and I live in a neighborhood. I live on 3/4 of an acre and they stay on it mostly but do wander off it a bit briefly. They do especially like one of my neighbors yards and my neighbors love to see them when they visit. They even have their own different names for them. lol. I also give them eggs regularly. Now that I've added to the flock, it will be shorter. Maybe 45 min - hour max. People walking down the street see two chickens and think they are cute. Five may be a different story. I don't want any complaints.

I am really shocked I haven't lost one yet after two years of raising them. We have a small army of huge horned owls that live across the street in the pines, the occasional fox, lots of dogs off leashes, and a plethora of ospreys. I'm prepared for the inevitable.

Mine are out in the fenced backyard dawn to dusk; and they bring themselves back into the run/coop at dusk. I have a lot of cover for them to hang out underneath. That said, I lost one to a raccoon that followed them right up the ladder into the coop and one lost and one maimed but recovered to a red-tailed hawk. I kept them in for several days after the hawk, and kept an eye out in the evenings. It's a risk, but worth it to me, because they seem happy and content.

I used to do window peaks while the ladies were out and about, but I have lost too many to neighbors dogs! I only let mine out now when I am out with them. The last dog attack I followed the dog home and gave the owner a Bill for my Chickens!!! I was surprised when he paid me in full for the value I placed on them. I get very attached to my Chickens.

Mine are let out in the morning and don't come in till night, except for the Silkie and bantams, who I try to lock up to protect them. I can sometimes tell what day looks like a hawkish day to me, sunny and warm, or calm and dusky. I lock up the bantams on those days.

I usually trust my layers almost completely to be safe from hawks, mainly because I've never lost one normal chicken to one, and because they have witnessed several attacks and attempts and scram for cover when a shadow swoops overhead.
Only my Polish, and Serama roo have been targeted. Little Ricky survived his ordeal, and is on strict confinement for his own good. The sooner I get another chicken run for all my special chickens, the better. Then I can relax ( mostly)

Coyotes are another deal entirely. At least we can eliminate those when they make the bad decision to come onto our property in broad daylight. I am rambling, and probably no one cares about my flock, but oh well! I like talkin' bout my chickens!
:duc

That's a very clear photo, what game camera do you have? Mine died but never had good photos.

JT

I have the Bushnell Trophy Cam. It does take very good pics. Here's a night shot.
Buck.jpg

That's a very clear photo, what game camera do you have? Mine died but never had good photos.

JT

I have the Bushnell Trophy Cam. It does take very good pics. Here's a night shot.
View attachment 1343553
I bought mine about five yrs ago, was $50. Takes awesome pics and video during the day, at night it will if it has good batteries in it. If the batteries are down it will still take pics forever but far distant shots at night the flash isn't bright enough.
Screenshot_20180417-113827.png
Screenshot_20180417-113852.png

I free range most the yr, don't after I cull down to just breeding stock in the late fall (can't afford to lose even one), start back up once I have eggs hatching.
I've lost very few birds through the yrs. I just say a prayer and let them go. Been working out good so far :D

I let my oldest hens free range much of the day and I keep the younger ones confined. The older ones are wiser, come when called, but also more expendable. I have lost one or two every year to coyotes (after which everyone is confined for a couple months) and every year I raise a few replacements.

The 2 I lost to fox were both near the end of April and not far from the house and barn. Late afternoon/early evening, well before sundown. That time of year HERE, the grass hasn't started growing much yet and the fox had to come across 100 yards of open ground to get to the chickens. My guess is the vixens must be having kits about then and their natural food supply hasn't exploded yet so they take chances.

Back
Top Bottom