Freezer jam

Quote:
Ditto. We all love freezer jam here! And freezer space is not an issue. I freeze alot of stuff!! I'm freezing beans tomorrow, but I am alos getting peaches, and I will can those.

I made strawberry feezer jam last year, still have a jar or two left..real easy and ery good..I bought the box of little jars and the instructions from Walmart last year about the time a co-worker with a strawberry farm was selling tons of strawberries. Worth the effort..that's for sure!!!
wink.png

I do strawberry and freezer peach jam. The peach is one of our absolute favorites!!

Cruiser, if you have any Sure Jell, check the insert. It's a great resource on how to make freezer jams, jellies and regular jam out of many different fruits. It's what I always go by and haven't had a failure yet.

I've made jam on gas and electric stoves. I think it's so easy I could do it on an open fire. I'm not an expert by any means.
I started before I had a real "canner" with a big stock pot. I put kitchen towels in the bottom so the jars wouldn't break. I'm 40 and have been making jam for only 20 years on and off. I had a few batches not gel... hey ....ice cream topping or ham glaze. No big deal. It is sooo satisfying when it comes out right. Like everything else we "put up" while my husband admires his wood pile.. I admire my stock pile of canned goodies in the pantry. (We both work full time, too).
I made wild blackberry jam last year ..before I had chickens competing for the berries...this year, I lost. I'll go buy peaches at the farmers market. Missed strawberry season all together.. too many house guests.
BE BRAVE...MAKE JAM!

I go by the Sure-Jell directions that are inside too.

It has the following fruits listed for freezer jam: apricot, blueberry, cherry, peach, mango, red raspberry, blackberry, raspberry-peach, strawberry, strawberry-blueberry

freezer jelly: apple, grape, grapefruit, hot pepper

cooked jam: apricot, blackberry, boysenberry, dewberry, loganberry, red raspberry, youngberry, black raspberry, blueberry, cherry, hot pepper relish, orange marmalade, peach pear, plum, strawberry, triple berry (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries)

cooked jelly: apple, crabapple, blackberry, boysenberry, dewberry, black raspberry, cherry, currant, grape, mint, plum, red raspberry, loganberry, strawberry

Make sure you have lots of sugar. They call for anywhere from 4 cups to 9 cups of sugar, some need lemon juice (from 2 Tbsp to 1/4 cup), and cider vinegar (hot pepper).

I normally make jam on top of an aga which is tricky to keep the temp up.

Last week I discovered jam made in a microwave. Fantastic for small amounts of fruit - ie I got 4lbs of peaches really cheap and turned that into 6 jars of jam. Yummy!

I am now stocking up on jars for Yule pressies
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom