1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Freezing eggs in ice cube trays

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momof5sons, Nov 12, 2011.

1. momof5sons

momof5sons New Egg

Sep 1, 2011
    My six girls have been laying lots of eggs, so I decided to whisk some eggs up and freeze them in ice cube trays. They are frozen and look like orange ice cubes...OK, now how do I get them out of the ice cube trays? Twisting the trays doesn't work, like it does with ice. Anyone have any suggestions? [​IMG]

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:I'm not sure what to tell ya but next maybe lightly spray it with pam!! [​IMG]

3. eggscetera

eggscetera Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2011
    Palmer, Alaska
    Interesting way of saving eggs. I have 4 dozen eggs in the fridge right now- my new hens have just started laying and these eggs are too small for my customers so my family eats them instead. I'm getting 8 to 10 eggs a day so I may try this trick.

4. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I like that idea. In light of your situation, grease the trays before, and set the trays in warm water to thaw it enough to just loosen them up?

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    zip lock bags is what we done and yes gotta let them thaw before removing [​IMG]

6. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

you can freeze raw eggs ? [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Quote:x2

and they're good to eat?

8. momof5sons

momof5sons New Egg

Sep 1, 2011
    If you search for info on this site ( https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=570897 ), you can safely freeze raw eggs. I read about the ice cube trays (use two ice cube eggs for one fresh egg in a recipe). I think spraying the trays with cooking spray is a good idea. I think I'll try to lightly thaw the eggs to get them out of the trays now, though. I like the idea of freezing eggs so that I can use some of my extra eggs in the winter when the girls are not laying as many eggs.

9. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    You probably have them out by now, but when something sticks in the icetray, I usually turn the tray upside down under the running faucet for 30 seconds or so. Of course you will want to block the eggs from falling into the sink. [​IMG]

10. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Anyone know how long they will stay good in the freezer....good to scramble when thawed I imagine....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by