freezing eggs to hatch later

Discussion in 'Geese' started by chicken charlie, Mar 10, 2012.

1. chicken charlie

chicken charlie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    i heard it can be done is there anyone out there that has done this with seccifully

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Im afraid you've been misinformed. Freezing will cause the egg contents to expand and may cause cracking. Freezing embryos, ova and sperm is a scientific technique that requires strict controls, preparation and liquid nitrogen.

Not even worth considering trying as it'll simply waste the egg.

Pete [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  3. chicken charlie

Mar 10, 2012
    thank you i didnt think so just had to ask a dumb question to get the answer i all ready new. got a good question for you now. if i got a 3 tray bator and i put eggs in one tray that holds 8 dozen and run my temp at 99.5 and my rh at 50% and a week later do it again and the third tray week after that and at 18 days from the first being put in i bring my rh up to 70% how will that effect the eggs in my 2-3 trays of hatching eggs?

4. pete55

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi - setting staggered hatches in the same incubator will cause an increased failure rate and there's no reason to increase humidity at Day 18. Your eggs set later will be at an incorrect humidity and thats a lot of eggs to take risks with if your trays hold eight dozen eggs.

5. chicken charlie

Mar 10, 2012
    pete55 you still there i just lost 20 dozen eggs is starting them at different weeks a bad thing

6. chicken charlie

Mar 10, 2012
    is 50% high enough i had a high rate of unhatched eggs and the few that did hatch had a problem with being stuck to the membram of the shell

7. pete55

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    If you've a different incubator for hatching then staggered hatches are no problems. When the eggs require a higher humidity nearer hatching then place them in the hatching incubator.

Am I reading your posts correctly as you stated you've just lost 20 dozen eggs - thats 240 eggs!!! What kind of eggs are they?

8. chicken charlie

Mar 10, 2012
    jersey black gaints, rhode inland reds,silver laced wyndots,polish, cochins,amercanuas,buff orfingtons,and minorcas

9. chicken charlie

Mar 10, 2012
    hello pete55 you still around?

10. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Charlie, chicken eggs incubate completely different from waterfowl. Bests to move your question to the general incubation thread where those that do chicken eggs all of the time can help answer your questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by