freezing eggs?

Azriel

Songster
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Montana
Has anyone tried freezing eggs for use in baking or cooking when the chickens slow down in laying over winter? I'm getting about 12-14 eggs a day right now, and am selling some, but I don't like to sell the little pullet eggs and I'm getting several a day right now. I was thinking to take them out of the shell and freeze them in containers or freezer bags in the amount you would need for what ever receipe as 2eggs, or 3eggs for cakes, or 5 eggs for french toast exct.
Please let me know if anyone has tried that and how it as worked.

never tried it personally but saw rachel raye do just that: she put so many eggs in each bag and labelled it to know how many raw eggs, etc...worked for her!

Eggs stored in the refrigerator can be good up to 6 months. I usually store a few more in the refrigerator going into the fall and winter, than I do in the spring and summer. That can cover me for slowdowns due to molting or if we don't use lighting some years.

You can definitely freeze some, too. I usually figure 1/4 cup of egg for every large egg called for in a recipe.

My grandmother used to save vitamin bottles for this. She'd mix in a bit of salt or sugar & stir the egg up. Make sure to label which, though, or you may have some strange tasting food!

I use a silicon mini muffin tin. Drop an egg in each opening, freeze overnight and then pop them out. You then can put them all into a single ziplock style bag and use as needed. No need to figure out ahead of time whether to mix 2 or 3 or 4 for different recipes. They do seem to take a long time to thaw so plan accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom