Freezing Grass Clippings for Winter Feed?

I agree with Ducky. Anything harvested this late in the year wouldn't have much nutritional value anyways.
Plant something for indoors or buy them some produce
big_smile.png
They'll love it.

Good luck.

Why not just buy some cheap cake pans and grow grass in your house? Its very good for you too, especially in the winyer when you stay inside. Good humidity and oxygen. Plus i hear plants help keep you happy in those dtab winter months

Probably would be a lot simpler just to sprout things for them. Get a big jar, like a one gallon plastic jar with lid, poke some small holes in the lid to allow water to drain. Put about 1/4 cup of a sprouting seed in the bottom, such as alfalfa, wheat berries, radish, whatever you think they would like. Pour enough water over it to cover, and let sit for about 6 hours. Rinse and drain. 3-4 times a day, pour water over them and then rinse and drain. For very fine seeds like alfalfa, put some fine mesh inside the lid so the seeds don't come out the holes. Set the jar in a warm, bright spot. Sprouts will be big enough to feed in 3 to 10 days, depending upon what you're sprouting. They'll love it. Cheap and easy if you stick with bulk, non treated seeds from the feed store -- you can sprout almost any kind of birdseed this way.

What about spouting some bird seed? Would that be ok? I had wondered the same thing as the OP....so I am very curious as to what I could do for winter greens as well!

Intriguing thought . . . I eat frozen spinach, which keeps for quite a while in the frij . . . . Then there are wheat sprouts. I gave that to my ducks late fall. They liked it a little but they are not huge grass eaters. They like lettuce and chickweed and dandelion and violet leaves.

I had wondered about dehydrating some wild greens and adding them, chopped or ground, into the feed during the winter.

I wouldn't do it - freezer space is a priceless commodity, here. Plus, IMO it would be a waste of time. Get your birds some grass hay, or alfalfa/grass mix. Easier to store, better quality overall as a feed IMO. I see my chickens as well as geese and ducks in the goat hay feeders all winter long. They love laying around them, too, on the beds of wasted hay. If your birds won't eat hay, they likely wouldn't eat frozen grass clippings either - I don't think mine would eat grass clippings with weird consistency.
smile.png

A good way to feed hay to geese/ducks without them messing in it too much is to get a hay bag sold for horses. Easy to fill and keeps the hay up off the ground at pecking height. I tend to throw the waste hay in their runs so they will actually go outside to lay on the waste hay, and so they can still enjoy scratching it it.

If you get a custom feed mix, you can also add alfalfa meal to the feed mix, for a bit of forage in their diet.

Back
Top Bottom