freezing nights?

sh83

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 22, 2014
McClure PA
So I am new to the world of chickens and have 6 6week old hens...we have the coop ready and they are fully feathered but are still inside the house. They are running out of room and I'd like to get them out to the coop asap but the temps are still pretty low. Mostly running 60s during the day and 30s at night. They do not have a heat lamp inside but I was planning to hook it up in the coop if I move them out since its so cold. Will they be ok or should I wait?? Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
I would put them out. I raised my week old chicks outside in a coop with 100 watt light.
They are about 6 weeks old now and doing great. Temps around here are cold again so I turned the
flood light back on again at night but they don't seem to be staying under it.

Mine were out at that age here in the wilds of frigid Wyoming. We just had our first overnight low of 30.....before that it was in the 20s at night and 40s during the day. I used a lamp the first few nights they were out there, just at night, but when I'd check on them they weren't even under it...they were piled together in a "chicken puddle" in one corner, and the next morning they were up, eating, drinking, pooping and demanding that I get that pop door open so they could go out. It's been two weeks now and they've even explored the snow that came down while they were out there.
They are thriving, my house no longer has a film of chicken dust on everything, and caring for them is 10 times easier on me and on them!

Back
Top Bottom