Freezing pumpkins

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kareninthesun, Aug 19, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    I know it's early, but once Halloween is over, most pumpkins including cooking ones can be purchased for nearly free. I normally prep and freeze them to use throughout the year. But can I buy, just slice whole and leave the seeds/inards intact then freeze them as treats for the hens? I know they like all of it, but wonder of the integrety and vitamin content once thawed. Would the texture or taste be compromised much?

2. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    You have to steam cook it first or it will turn to mush. I make pumpkin pies every year and freeze the pumpkin puree but I have to cook it first for it to freeze well.

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Pumpkins keep extremely well. I feed around 3000 lbs of pumpkin each winter. I just simply place them on palates in the barn right after All Hallow's Eve and then feed them throughout the winter.

If you can keep them from freezing they will keep longer. Many (dare I say most?) will keep for 4 months or better.

4. Eris

Eris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    El Paso, Texas
    I agree with saladin. Pumpkins are known to keep well in root cellers, basements, barns or even outdoors if protected. I would suggest not freezing them and just storing them. A great search would be "pumpkins root celler" on google.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yes, you can just slice, seeds and all, and put in freezer baggies and freeze...(for the chickens...) I do it all the time.... pumpkin, squash, watermelon....
    My chickens dont care if the pumpkin is soggy or not.... really.... [​IMG]

6. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    I would just store them somewhere cool. I finally JUST threw out a pumpkin that's been on our porch since Halloween. So they keep for quite awhile. [​IMG]

7. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Quote:You CAN freeze them whole with the seeds/innards intact! I have done it myself! They do not turn to mush. All I did was lop the pumpkins into quarters or so and wrap them in a fair amount of plastic wrap, then dropped them in the freezer. As for taste.... you do remember you are feeding them to chickens after all right? Can't say I got much of a chance to taste the pumpkin as there were 25 beaks eating as fast as physically possible.

8. louisebailes

louisebailes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    never would have thought of this lol i love finding new treats for my chucks,

9. louisebailes

louisebailes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    you all seem well informed, my chucks love bread my 3year old is obsessed with giving it to them, is it ok for them to eat it??

10. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    It's OK to feed a little as an occasional treat, but bread is generally not very nutritious and if they fill up on bread, they won't want to eat the healthier food. Maybe you can find a more nutritious treat your kiddo can feed them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by