freezing veggies

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by RoyalHillsLLC, Mar 5, 2009.

1. RoyalHillsLLC

RoyalHillsLLC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    I am looking for ideas on how to best freeze or otherwise putup fresh vegetables. Example: I love fresh squash, but don't like them soggy. How can you freeze squash from the garden and have them later in the season?
    I like zucchini and yellow crooknecks or straightnecks, but haven't been able to freeze them and have them prepared tasting crisp and fresh.

2. NRacine

NRacine Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2008
    I usually cut them to into bite size pieces (1.5-2 inches) and parboil them for about 30 seconds so they are still squeaky on the teeth, but not totally cooked. I rinse in cold water and drain in a colander, then on towels to get as much water out as possible. Then I freeze them in a vacuum sealed bag with a Reynolds Handi-Vac. After thawing they don't need to really be cooked, just warmed through. Then they won't be mushy.

3. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    yup-- it's called "blanching" and works well for most veggies before freezing--- and so it freezes evenly, and you don't get a frozen lump of squash...
    lay them on a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper, and freeze overnight... then bag em up-- I LOVE my vacuum sealer! not only no freezer burn, but smaller packages!

4. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I blanch mine too. I think if you cut them too small or thin they will be mushy. Cut them in bigger pieces. I grate and freeze mine also for bread making in the future.

5. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I blanch mine as well. It works pretty well. They aren't perfectly crisp as they are when they are fresh, but they definitely aren't mushy either.

6. RoyalHillsLLC

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    Thanks. So I need to slice them thicker, blanch them, freeze them overnight on waxpaper, and then bag them and vacuum seal the bags?

7. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

That's what I would do.

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I freeze things in thin layers on cookie sheets, then transfer to baggies.

9. RoyalHillsLLC

Mar 5, 2007
    NW Louisiana-Vivian
    Is the vacuum packer necessary? or does it work pretty good without it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by