Fresh birds in brine for 24 hours can I freeze now?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by nikischicks, Jun 18, 2009.

1. nikischicks

nikischicks Songster

Mar 16, 2009
    NE/Mid Ohio
    Or should I keep them in the brine for another 24? I have read here that 48 hours in the fridge to season them is what the norm is. Can I pop them in the deep freeze tonight? What do you recommend?

2. jaku

jaku Songster

I do 24 hours in the fridge after I do 24 in the brine- 48 hours in salt water seems like a bit much to me, but I've never tried it.

3. nikischicks

nikischicks Songster

Mar 16, 2009
    NE/Mid Ohio
    Thats a good idea, I didnt really think of that. I think that I will do this with the next several and see what the difference is.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Do you have to put them in a brine? What's the taste difference if you don't? And does the processor automatically do this for you? I know ours will come back to us flash frozen.

5. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Brining is about tenderness, not taste. For young Cornish X it is a lot less critical than older standard breeds. 3 or 4 hours should be plenty, even for standard breeds.

I doubt that the processor brines, but you would have to ask, of course. When you thaw, you can brine them a while after thawing, if you wish.

6. bigtooks

bigtooks Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Norwalk, Ohio
    Quote:I agree..brining is 1 hour per pound...typical brine soulution is 1 cup kosher salt and 1 cup sugar per gallon of water...and then you can add other spices or whatever you prefer.

7. nikischicks

nikischicks Songster

Mar 16, 2009
    NE/Mid Ohio
    I use brine when I do turkey and such so I figured why not do it to the chickens too? Thats my reasoning:) I figured it wouldnt hurt any. I took them out and froze 3 and we will be eating 1 in a day or 2 so that one is in the fridge.

8. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Where was this thread a couple of month ago?

We just made soup from our first harvest, and I have to admit it was like eating gizzard soup!! HAHA!!!

Laughing now, but would like to do it right later so thanks for the thread!!!

9. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    Many moons ago when I worked for a place that did broasted chicken, we would marinate in the salt solution overnight. I would think that would be enough time. I do that with my turkey and also pork roasts (they are so yummy that way........).

Good Luck!

10. jaku

jaku Songster

I guess I should clarify what I do- not really brine. I put mine in a 50 gallon barrel of ice water and a whole box of salt for 24 hours. Not nearly the concentration of a true brine, but the salt helps break down the tissue, and keeps the water colder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: