Fresh birds in brine for 24 hours can I freeze now?

nikischicks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
NE/Mid Ohio
Or should I keep them in the brine for another 24? I have read here that 48 hours in the fridge to season them is what the norm is. Can I pop them in the deep freeze tonight? What do you recommend?

nikischicks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
NE/Mid Ohio
Thats a good idea, I didnt really think of that. I think that I will do this with the next several and see what the difference is.

Hangin Wit My Peeps

AutumnBreezeChickens.com
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Birnamwood, Wisconsin
Do you have to put them in a brine? What's the taste difference if you don't? And does the processor automatically do this for you? I know ours will come back to us flash frozen.

Judy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
South Georgia
Brining is about tenderness, not taste. For young Cornish X it is a lot less critical than older standard breeds. 3 or 4 hours should be plenty, even for standard breeds.

I doubt that the processor brines, but you would have to ask, of course. When you thaw, you can brine them a while after thawing, if you wish.

bigtooks

Songster
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Norwalk, Ohio
Quote:I agree..brining is 1 hour per pound...typical brine soulution is 1 cup kosher salt and 1 cup sugar per gallon of water...and then you can add other spices or whatever you prefer.

nikischicks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
NE/Mid Ohio
I use brine when I do turkey and such so I figured why not do it to the chickens too? Thats my reasoning:) I figured it wouldnt hurt any. I took them out and froze 3 and we will be eating 1 in a day or 2 so that one is in the fridge.

highcountrychickens

Head Rooster Jouster
11 Years
Aug 28, 2008
Jackson Hole
Where was this thread a couple of month ago?

We just made soup from our first harvest, and I have to admit it was like eating gizzard soup!! HAHA!!!

Laughing now, but would like to do it right later so thanks for the thread!!!

babylady4

Mother Goose
Mar 30, 2009
Central WI
Many moons ago when I worked for a place that did broasted chicken, we would marinate in the salt solution overnight. I would think that would be enough time. I do that with my turkey and also pork roasts (they are so yummy that way........).

Good Luck!

jaku

Songster
12 Years
Jan 13, 2008
Howard City, Michigan
I guess I should clarify what I do- not really brine. I put mine in a 50 gallon barrel of ice water and a whole box of salt for 24 hours. Not nearly the concentration of a true brine, but the salt helps break down the tissue, and keeps the water colder.

Top Bottom