fresh eggs vs store bought eggs

Krayfish57

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 1, 2013
My husband brought up an interesting question. How do we know the eggs we collect from our backyard chickens are safe from bacteria and other pathogens? Do they do something special to eggs you buy in the store to remove or kill the pathogens? Has anyone known anyone to get sick from eating backyard chicken eggs?
Just wondering....
woot.gif

Of course you can get salmonella from backyard eggs. No guarantees.

That being said, I'd be happier eating my eggs raw than store eggs because backyard chickens are less likely to harbor nasty bacteria, simply because they aren't under such population pressure and stress as layer house hens. Especially if you keep their bedding and food dishes nice and clean.

Commercial egg producers wash their eggs in chlorinated egg wash. We do too, for our customers. We don't worry about washing the eggs we consume ourselves. Wash eggs in hot water, not cold. washing in water colder than the egg can force bacteria in through the egg's pores. Water hotter than the egg forces dirt and bacteria out.

Just like if it were home-raised meat, take sensible food safety precautions like not consuming raw egg and washing your hands and not cross-contaminating cutting boards, etc.

Personally I believe that eating my hens homegrown eggs is healthier than store bought. First of all, I know that my hens aren't being fed GMO feed, antibiotics, or other drugs that I don't want in my diet. Can there be a bacteria in my hens eggs? Sure there can. Nothing is guaranteed. But there can also be a bacteria in the store bought varieties too. I don't know how old they are when I buy them from the market, or how they were processed before they got on the truck, or how far they traveled before they landed in the grocery store cooler. With my own I know exactly when they were collected and how they were stored before I eat them. Besides, they taste better too!

I definitely like the color and texture of the free range eggs; my girls run free over our land collecting up goodies; natural food for my girls with pelleted in the feeders as back up.

I treat my egss with the same care as commercial eggs. THere is always a risk of salmonella. However commercial flocks are well screened for that and other pathogens. Most of these pathogens are not a problem to humans, mind you.

The eggs has natural barriers to keep the embryo safe from contaminents and to ensure it will gorw in to a healthy chick. THe inial barriers is the bloom on the outside; then there are anti bacterial factors in the egg white as well.

Love that your DH is thinking about food safety. THe next step is to consider the nutrients that we injest. If he only knew what sommercial livestock eat he would be appalled. Some cattle are fed newspaper ( MOther Earth) and while that is protein, it is not loaded with Vit A and anti cancer micronutirents that grass fed beef is. THe more I learn the more I am changing what I eat and my pets eat and my food animals eat.

PS bleach isn't necessary for cleaning. In drinking water I use vinegar. I don't use chorine bleach for much anymore as it is another poison for the Earth and according to some sources a poison to us as well. I basically use fresh water to clean with soap, or use vinegar. Cooking also has disinfecting properties.

Enjoy your fresh eggs!!!

Basic food saftey should take care of any concerns, however keep in mind that many of the food contaminants comercial food is treated fir are introduced by the factory farming process itself. If not for the crowded living conditions of the animals raised enmasse then there wouldnt be as much need for all the precautions we go through today. We have to treat our food as a hazardous substance because of where it comes from.

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom