Fresh eggs....

Feb 4, 2020
Indiana
How long can my fresh eggs be left out un-refrigerated? I’ve seen differing opinions on this and wanted to see what you all thought. I have some that have been out for two weeks..... 551DEB05-ECF8-4986-8FE1-2E6D25839EC6.jpeg

They are fine... we purposely leave eggs out for two weeks bc they are the best to hardboil. If you’re worried though you can always do the egg float test. There are conflicting theories on whether this works or not but we do it anyway with any eggs over two weeks unless they have been refrigerated.
You didn’t wash them, right?

Last edited:
They are fine... we purposely leave eggs out for two weeks bc they are the best to hardboil. If you’re worried though you can always do the egg float test. There are conflicting theories on whether this works or not but we do it anyway with any eggs over two weeks unless they have been refrigerated.
You didn’t wash them, right?
No, I haven’t washed them. Thank you so much for your feedback! I truly appreciate it!

I have left fresh eggs out for a month with no problems.

Floating an egg only tells you how big the air cell is, how long it has been sitting out - it really doesn't indicate whether the egg is funky or not.

Fresh from collecting, I leave them on the counter (in an egg basket) for as long as it takes to use them. Occasionally I’ll do the float test (if I’m not sure how long it’s been) and get a bad egg, but they (in my house) are used up very quickly. (I wash them right before I use them though, especially if there happens to be any poop.)

Clean, unwashed eggs can sit out for approximately 21 days, ideally at cooler temperatures and 50-55% humidity. I don't think it's a coincidence that that's how long it takes to incubate them 😉
Someone probably picked that number because of the length of incubation,
but it really doesn't apply to how long they can sit on the counter.

Someone probably picked that number because of the length of incubation,
but it really doesn't apply to how long they can sit on the counter.
For sure, it's a just good general rule. I have seen outside of the united states that unrefrigerated eggs are kept in stores approximately a month, and the ones in the U.S. that are washed and refrigerated can be 2 months old before they are purchased. I have personally incubated eggs that were just over a month old and had a good hatch out of them. But, I've also kept quail eggs on the counter for a few weeks and had some gross ones when I cut them open. I was just trying to reassure the poster that 2 week eggs are likely fine.

Back
Top Bottom