Fresh, laid today egg with odd thing in yolk?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by seabreeze, Mar 19, 2011.

1. seabreeze

seabreeze Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Scio, OR
    My son cracked open a freshly laid egg for breakfast from this morning and we found an odd, dark semi circular thing at one end of it. At first it looked like a tick in the yolk and as I wiped it off the yolk with my finger, unfortunately smearing it a bit, a little blood oozed out. Is this a worm? or was this the start of an embryo? There is a rooster in there but this is a brand new, freshly laid egg so I didn't think anything would be *started yet*?

Any suggestions? It was too small to get a photo of, sorry. But it did seem a bit round in shape and in a tight semi circle. Even with a magnifying glass I could not tell what it was except it looked like a worm or a stripe of something round-ish. Sorry the description is wimpy.

2. WVman

WVman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Salt rock/Hamlin, WV
    It could be a blood spot

3. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Doesn't sound like anything really. Some eggs have a thing that looks like a piece of meat in them. It happens from time to time.

4. seabreeze

seabreeze Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Scio, OR
    Thanks. It did look a little like a piece of meat but really more cylindrical, curved into a sort of *C* and not all dark, dark and light banding.

5. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    Not to worry, I get them in mine and also got them occasionally in shop bought eggs over the winter when my lot went on strike. Not going to make any difference at all to the egg, but if you really don't like it just scoop it off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by