Freshly hatched chick not doing well

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HHandbasket, Feb 14, 2011.

1. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I have a newly hatched sebright chick that is not doing well. She was the first of the whole bunch to pip but the last to hatch. It turned out, she had her "cord" wrapped around her neck (I guess much the way human babies can sometimes be). As she was crawling around, she crawled over another egg in the bator and detached her cord from the tiny yolk sac/placenta she was still absorbing. It came off. She has done pretty good until about 2 hours ago & now she is laying on the bottom of the brooder and having trouble breathing and is panting with her little beak open.

I think she needs to be dispatched. What is the quickest, easiest, most painless way? The only scissors I have here are kinda crappy and not very sharp.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  2. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    How is your incubator temp? Did you decrease it for hatching? There is a possibility she is weak and overheating.

If you are considering culling:
    Make sure she is bad off, and not just napping hard and recuperating.

If your temp is okay and you are REALLY sure she is suffering. (No shears available.)
    You can hold her in your hand and put it in a sink of warm water. Hold until the chick is still. It sounds cruel, but you have to do, what you have to do.

3. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    There is a few methods for example the scissors, warm water method, lighter fluid etc. I'd give her some time first though at least 24-48 hours to see how she does. It could be that she's just tired from he long hatch. If you have to dispatch do it a way that you personally can deal with some people feel comfortable with one method others another and people rarely agree.
    Keep us posted with her progress. I really hope she is just tired and picks up soon as its always hard to cull a baby. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. mrslb333

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Quote:Thank you for putting that on here, I got slated the last time I mentioned it [​IMG] It is a very peaceful ending though and I prefer it that way

5. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    give her a little longer please! i hate to hear of any chick being culled [​IMG] i hope she's okay [​IMG] you never know, she may turn out to be all right [​IMG]

6. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I didn't have to do anything. She passed away quietly and peacefully in the bottom of the brooder.

I had spoken to a local chickenkeeper and APA member earlier who also suggested the drowning method, which she uses, as well. I hope everybody else continues to grow and get healthier and stronger.

And next time, I'm not mixing bantams and LF eggs together in the incubator. Learned my lesson.

7. mrslb333

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    So sorry for you your loss hun [​IMG] Sometimes little ones are not meant to be [​IMG]

8. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    So sorry [​IMG]

9. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm so very sorry you lost one. [​IMG]

I have been, well, "lucky" enough to have any really weak chicks succumb on their own before I could get up the courage to dispatch them. Because of that, I haven't yet had to do the responsible thing for a failing chick. I'm glad it passed quietly without your involvement. Just taken at its time. Sad, but .... better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by