freshly hatched chick w broody, possible mareks in flock. ..

jessikarma

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 28, 2013
Hello everyone!
I am so stressed! I think I might have a mareks breakout in my flock. I first noticed my (only) 2 turkeys having trouble walking and keeping their balance. Their poop is normal, just very lethargic and having trouble walking. Of the 2 of them they seem to rotate getting better, and then getting worse again. They have been sick for about 10 days. . Friday I lost 2 chicks out of the blue, no signs of illness, just randomly died.

Friday afternoon, I noticed 2 more chicks struggling, I moved them into my brooder (like an idiot) and one more died, one recovered.

I understand that with the rest of my flock there is nothing I can do....

Now my biggest concern is I have two broodies hatching Eggs the next few days. . They are separated from the flock but in the same coop. I'm hoping my vet will have the vaccine. . but I don't know what else to do. I was considering moving mama and eggs/chicks to the front yard before they touch the ground because no chickens have been there, but I've also read it's pointless. I don't want to put them through that stress if it's not gong to help.

I would appreciate any advice or experience you can share.

I would advise you to get the little chicks vaccinated at your local vet. Once your broodies hatch the eggs. I've never had a problem with the mareks disease. But the people I know who have, have taken them to the vet and get their shots and they do do fine.Hope they get better!

I am so frustrated. Nobody locally carries or offers the vaccine. Even my avian vets did not have it. I don't know what to do.

I feel like my chickens are domed. ):

If I were you, I would probably find a big box just for them. By new shaving or put newspapers down in the box and make new feeders and waterers. Or you could clean the waterers and feeders with bleach and water. I would bring them inside so momma, if she has it, won't pass it on to the chicks.

Here's what I would do to the other chickens, I would clean everything with bleach and water.I
Would try to keep every thing clean.
I am very sorry for you, and hope they do better. :(

Thank you so much for the reply. I was reading that bleach doesn't kill the mareks, only certain chemicals (I can't find here do). We keep our coop very clean. Fresh food and water every day. I haven't had any new sick birds, so I'm hoping that is a good sign, just the turkeys who don't seem any closer to death, just rotating lameness. It's the strangest thing.

I do like the idea of keeping them in a separate box. I hadn't even considered mama passing it on. I will feel just awful taking them away from her.

I know! I have a broody as well. I couldn't imagine taking them away from my broody, but that was what I would probably do. The mareks disease is horrible. Maybe I would try to separate the Turkeys. It sounds like 1 gets better them the other gives, it to him again.

Back
Top Bottom