Friendliest breed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Eggstra New, May 12, 2010.

1. Eggstra New

Eggstra New Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Springport, Michigan
    Hello all,
    Wanting to get a couple more chickens. I love the look of my easter eggers, but my isa browns seem to be more friendly. Does any one else think this to be true? What do you think is the friendliest breed of all the chickens?

2. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm APA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Monticello, Arkansas
    Buckeyes and Orpingtons!

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Jersey Giants

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm trading a Cuckoo Maran pullet today that loves to be held.

5. chickygirl2

chickygirl2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    upper marlboro. md
    Hands down- my bantam modern games- but they are not great egg layers!

6. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I have Barred rocks, EE, WGJ, Delaware, Red Stars and Hamburgs. I have some Delawares that are friendly and some that are not. 1 of my EE is friendly. 2 of my Barred rocks are friendly and the other 2 are ok. the Hamburgs are skittish and ,my one white leghorn is skittish as well. I have heard that Orpingtons are very friendly and calm birds. I plan on gettin some in June when they come to my local livestock supply. I think there are probably friendly birds in each breed, but we aren't able to tell which is nice and friendly and which ones are not. But if anyone has any ideas to tell if they are friendly when they are day olds that would also be great.

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I love my Orpingtons and my little Faverolle! They hang out around your feet and aren't flighty like a lot of other breeds. I've raised Welsummers, Rocks, Leghorns, RIR's, Ameraucana's, Wyandottes, Marans, d'Uccles, Jersey Giants, and Sex-links. Although I've always adored everyone of my chickens (they each come with their own personality [​IMG] ), I really love my Orpingtons and Faverolle. In general, they are so laid back. [​IMG]

Now that being said, each chicken has their own personality and each one is going to be different. It just really depends on the bird itself. [​IMG]

8. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    Just my opinion.....and I know I'm prejudice [​IMG] but SILKIES are the easiest to cuddle, and sooooo very friendly [​IMG]

9. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    My light brahmas are way friendlier than my EEs. They follow me around the yard, hop up on the swing to sit next to me, and don't run away when I try to pick them up. Love them.[​IMG]

10. chikkinlittlesc

chikkinlittlesc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    South Carolina
    Cochins! They are sweet, even when broody. I have been raising them for 8 years and I just love them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by