Friendly farmer sick after processing birds

phalenbeck

Songster
11 Years
Aug 14, 2008
Canton, N.C.
About a week back, I processed 5 Cornish X as I have done for 4 years. I did get in contact with a bit of poop, and did minor hand cuts. All birds seemed healthy. The next day chills, that passed, and 'lower intestional distress' that is still with me 5 days later. I am not worried about me so much, as I can handle this in time, but Is this from the birds? I am likely guilty of rinsing my hands frequently, but not washing them as much as I should. Getting sick from processing--happen to others? The good news distress is slimming me down some.

chooks4life

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Australia
You may want to look up symptoms of salmonella. Just a thought.

This hasn't happened to me, but just in case, until you're better and know you're out the other side of the woods, I personally wouldn't be too laid back about it. People die from catching diseases from poultry every year.

Best wishes.

phalenbeck

Songster
11 Years
Aug 14, 2008
Canton, N.C.
Thanks, it clearly was salmonella. My thought is my practice of drinking (coffee) and smoking without washing my hands was the problem. Time to shape up, I guess. I have done all the hydration stuff, and am mostly better.

aoxa

Crowing
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Shediac Cape NB, Canada
My Coop
My Coop
Are you sure it wasn't Camplyobacter poisoning? I have had it from my dogs eating chicken poop and me letting my dogs lick my hands, and not washing them after.. So yeah it is possible.

I was hospitalized with it and it created ulcers in my bowels. I was pretty sick and in isolation in the hospital.

It's not usually serious.. I know the stomach cramping was pretty tough for me. My whole intestines just stopped working. And now I am more careful. ;)

phalenbeck

Songster
11 Years
Aug 14, 2008
Canton, N.C.
Camplyobacter looks like another possibility. I am happy to have this info. Now I find that there is some Dengue where I am going to he dentist to save a couple thousand. I have spent many years not worrying about much, and I guess it is time to take precautions. Stuff does not seem heal as fast now that I am near-old.

LindaB220

Crowing
6 Years
Aug 23, 2013
Portland/Vancouver area
Thanks, it clearly was salmonella. My thought is my practice of drinking (coffee) and smoking without washing my hands was the problem. Time to shape up, I guess. I have done all the hydration stuff, and am mostly better.

Glad you are feeling better. This is something I had not thought about. But I wash my hands with soap at least 7-8 times a day. Every time I come in contact with chickens. I'm bad about drinking water too. sigh.
big_smile.png

LindaB220

Crowing
6 Years
Aug 23, 2013
Portland/Vancouver area
Camplyobacter looks like another possibility. I am happy to have this info. Now I find that there is some Dengue where I am going to he dentist to save a couple thousand. I have spent many years not worrying about much, and I guess it is time to take precautions. Stuff does not seem heal as fast now that I am near-old.

Take all your shots before going overseas. Safety first. Good for you. Wish you the best. Be careful. Take along a small container of GSE. Grapefruit Seed Extract. A couple of drops in water will kill all bacteria. Soak veggies and salads before eating. Amazon sells it cheap. $8 or so.
big_smile.png

Ruthster55

Crowing
7 Years
Nov 23, 2013
Northern South America
I know they're marketed mostly to bodybuilders, but I like Animal Pak vitamins to keep your immune system in tip-top shape.

They're expensive abroad - so buy them before you leave and put them in your suitcase.

Top Bottom