Friendly Goose Breeds? African or Chinese?

Ripleydig40

Chirping
May 7, 2019
North Carolina
Hi all, my backyard flocks have been growing with many new additions. Who knew that tiny little quails could have such fun personalities and delicious eggs!
But asking my question... I have recently had the idea of getting a pet goose. Unfortunately this thought came to me last night, and after doing all of the research, I realized that I am way too late into the season to get the ones I've found were the friendliest (buff, pilgrim, etc..) However, fortunately I found a local breeder that has week old White Chinese geese, and African geese. Which one would be better suited for being a friendly pet goose? I only want one and I've heard mixed reviews about the both of them. Thanks in advance!

Hi all, my backyard flocks have been growing with many new additions. Who knew that tiny little quails could have such fun personalities and delicious eggs!
But asking my question... I have recently had the idea of getting a pet goose. Unfortunately this thought came to me last night, and after doing all of the research, I realized that I am way too late into the season to get the ones I've found were the friendliest (buff, pilgrim, etc..) However, fortunately I found a local breeder that has week old White Chinese geese, and African geese. Which one would be better suited for being a friendly pet goose? I only want one and I've heard mixed reviews about the both of them. Thanks in advance!

I’ve no experience at all with geese but Wikipedia tells me that African geese are known for their docile character

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_goose

Generally speaking, Africans are much more docile then Chinese, but it should be noted that true Africans are hard to find, the one's you buy at a hatchery are actually Chinese x African cross.

Back
Top Bottom