Friendly hello from North Carolina

Darlene28073

Songster
Dec 18, 2020
Grover NC
Hello! I'm Darlene from western North Carolina, near Shelby.
I have wanted a small flock of chickens for a few years now, but didn't have the time to devote to them. I worked 6 & 7 days a week as a CNC machinist, and can never half way do something especially when it's caring for other lives.
Between back surgery and covid-19, I was able to build a coop & mostly covered run & finally get some chicks back in April.
I completely lost the chicken lottery with my 1st set of chicks. I ended up with all cockerels except one. Then my one pullet became egg bound. I now have only 1 of my originals and that's the cockerel that I kept.
It has been full of ups and downs, LOTS of lessons & many more to come, I know.
So far the breeds that I have had are Ameraucana, Spitzhauben, & still have Pavlovskaya, Cochin, Polish, White Faced Black Spanish, Silkie & Easter Egger. My flock is 6 right now & I will be getting another Pavlovskaya soon & have a silkie in the incubator.
As you can see I love to learn everything from one end to the other. Lol I constantly research, I love to learn.
Other than chickens I have 1 dog (we recently lost our 13 year old lab), 1 cat, 2 fish aquariums. My 2 children are grown & I have 2 grandchildren. We live in the country, but close enough to a decent sized city for conveniences. I love to garden, flower, herbal, & vegetable. I enjoy crocheting but rarely have the time to. I enjoy cooking, dehydrating, making animal treats although that comes & goes in spells.
I try to treat others as I would want to be treated but am definitely no push over. I stand up for what I believe in while trying to stay open minded about different perspectives.
I look forward to learning, sharing and growing with this community! Wow, I feel like I've started a book. 😆 🤣

Hello! I'm Darlene from western North Carolina, near Shelby.
I have wanted a small flock of chickens for a few years now, but didn't have the time to devote to them. I worked 6 & 7 days a week as a CNC machinist, and can never half way do something especially when it's caring for other lives.
Between back surgery and covid-19, I was able to build a coop & mostly covered run & finally get some chicks back in April.
I completely lost the chicken lottery with my 1st set of chicks. I ended up with all cockerels except one. Then my one pullet became egg bound. I now have only 1 of my originals and that's the cockerel that I kept.
It has been full of ups and downs, LOTS of lessons & many more to come, I know.
So far the breeds that I have had are Ameraucana, Spitzhauben, & still have Pavlovskaya, Cochin, Polish, White Faced Black Spanish, Silkie & Easter Egger. My flock is 6 right now & I will be getting another Pavlovskaya soon & have a silkie in the incubator.
As you can see I love to learn everything from one end to the other. Lol I constantly research, I love to learn.
Other than chickens I have 1 dog (we recently lost our 13 year old lab), 1 cat, 2 fish aquariums. My 2 children are grown & I have 2 grandchildren. We live in the country, but close enough to a decent sized city for conveniences. I love to garden, flower, herbal, & vegetable. I enjoy crocheting but rarely have the time to. I enjoy cooking, dehydrating, making animal treats although that comes & goes in spells.
I try to treat others as I would want to be treated but am definitely no push over. I stand up for what I believe in while trying to stay open minded about different perspectives.
I look forward to learning, sharing and growing with this community! Wow, I feel like I've started a book. 😆 🤣
members.jpg

Back
Top Bottom