Friendly Quail?

brooster

Songster
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
northwest Ohio
I am planning in getting about 50 quail eggs next spring, but i dont know what kind i want yet.
I need birds that are:
easy to handle
hugs.gif

Sociable
big_smile.png

Cold hardy :thun
Heat hardy
tea.gif

Are easy to hatch
jumpy.gif

Right now i am thinking about getting bobwhite from http://www.lakecumberlandgamebirds.com/index1.html they were the closest for the price. If you have quail, and sell eggs let me know. If anyone has ordered this many quail eggs from a hatchery, how were they shipped? they cant ship them as good as poelpe do chicken eggs. who wants to bubble wrap 50 little quial eggs? lake cumberland is selling eggs 50 for $15 plus shipping

Last edited:
If you are ordering from a hatchery, why not order live chicks? At least those are gauranteed. And in a lot of states you have to have a permit for the Bobwhites.

I have giant butler bobwhites, california valley, gamble's, blue scale and mountains..no eggs till spring. If you are wanting something easy and gentle I would go with the coturnix, as they will eat out of your hand.. Actually quail eggs ship better than chicken eggs. I have orderd as many as 500 at the time with 80% hatch rate..Most all good quail egg shippers use egg shipping foam as seen here. www.redoakgamebirds.com/shop/

Last edited:
brooster - While I have bobwhite and we do sell hatching eggs, I highly recommend Lake Cumberland. We ordered 50 eggs from them, received somewhere around 60 and hatched 53 or 54 chicks. It was an awesome deal and excellent fertility - although its tough to get infertile quail eggs unless you're missing the boys. lol Game birds are hardy breeders and ours are raised on wire in outdoor pens all winter. They have slanted roof for sudden takeoffs and they are not super friendly...they are game birds after all. They do get used to you coming to the pen and usually don't take flight unless they are startled. I've never lost a bird to heat or cold or disease. Lost one to a coon once tho.

Be prepared, regardless of your decision. Yes, they are pretty easy to hatch as long as your incubation is right. Quail are quick to fly and will be out of the brooder within 2 weeks. I know our bobwhites are popping straight up and out within 2 wks. Proper spacing is also important as they are picky if they don't have enough room. Also, use high quality game bird feed...you don't wanna feed anything less to ensure optimal growth and nutrition. Good luck.

Jody

I have Cortunix quail, they are the most calm and easy to raise. I have mine in the house right now trying to get them them to lay, they started 2 days ago. They are very funny to watch and good fly catchers.

I have "jumbo white pharaoh" quail. They start laying at about 8-9 weeks and they lay allot! They are a bit larger than a common coturnix and because they are all white there are no dark pin feathers to fuss with if you want meat. I've never had any eggs not be fertile and I would be more than happy to send some to you in the spring when the weather is better. You cover shipping and enjoy watching them hatch. They are amazing little birds,,, they are up and "running" so fast. Because the eggs are smaller you have to be more gentle with them. I'll send a "lessons hard learned" with the eggs... just let me know if you are interested.
big_smile.png

Barbie

Back
Top Bottom