Friesian Fowl Q&A Discussion Thread

IMG_3275.JPG IMG_3060.JPG IMG_3060.JPG
IMG_3060.JPG
IMG_3062.JPG
I got my first egg! Last week and one a day since from the oldest of the three chamois freisians

It is difficult to find information about them! I have had them for a couple of years and am happy to share what I know. Ask away!
Thanks so much! How social are they? What has your experience been with them when it comes to egg production? I'm only looking to expand my flock with a couple of more hens and someone local has some Friesians for sale. They are such lovely and interesting looking hens, but I wanted to do my homework before getting serious about them. Which also begs the question, since they are considered rare(?), is it fair to have them if I have no intention of breeding? I live within city limits and roosters are not allowed.

I currently have a small mixed flock, only 5 hens, of pretty easy going girls. They are accepting of other non aggressive hens, but bullies really disrupt everyone's temperament. My girls are more pets than anything else, but I do appreciate getting something back from them, in the form of eggs, considering what I'm spending on them:) Really appreciate your feedback.

Mine are great fliers and foragers. They get along well with all the other chickens. They lay very well, but the egg size hasn't gotten any larger that large and mine are 2 years old. It was only medium-large last year. When I first got them GFF said they were on the heritage endangered species list. Who knows if this is in fact true. They are quiet and as you noted very pretty. Too bad I'm not local, because I am hatching a bunch of them too!

Back
Top Bottom