Frightened chickens

demekidis

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2023
fethiye, Turkey
Hello, I had two extremely friendly Buff Orpington ladies.
One of them died, so I got a new one (4 months ago) which is afraid of people (including me) from day one.
I thought I could gain her trust but instead nothing really changed.
In fact, they are bonded now and the friendly one, became unfriendly too.
She wont let me touch her or hand feed her anymore. When the second chicken is in panic, she is in panic too. When the second chicken is scared, she is scared too.
I have no experience with chicken. Any ideas?

Welcome to BYC. If this has been 4 months, then I also wonder what to do that would improve the situation. Maybe sit in the run with them , scatter treats, don’t try to touch, no reaching out. And do this every day. They can read your vibe, so make sure you don’t project this attitude that they hate me, instead, assume that they like you, and that it will improve.
Good luck, let us know how it goes….

:goodpost: I agree, just spend time with them in a non threatening way. Sit with them and read or listen to music or a podcast. Most chickens don't like to be petted or picked up but they can learn not to be scared, and that you have treats. I only have one chicken that I can pick up, but I have to shuffle step through my run so I don't step on anyone. They all crowd around for treats.

Back
Top Bottom