Frightened chicks.

Lucy Brown

Songster
Dec 31, 2020
Orange, California
The chicks that i bought from the pet store are frightened by humans because they were often touched by kids. Anyone have any advice to make these chicks less afraid and tame?

I just read a really good article about a different way to brood your chicks differently. I feel like I found it on this site, on the article forms. One of the suggestions was to have your chicks up on the table so you’re approaching them not from above, like a hawk, but from a
less predatory angle.

you could try putting your hand in the Brooder, and make your index and middle finger like chicken legs. I taught mine how to scratch around in the wood chips that way. They loved it. I also just left my hand in there and they would cuddle up against it and sleep. Watch how your chicks peck at food. If you mimic that action like your hand is a chicken, their instincts will kick in and they’ll start to imitate you. When I introduce them to meal worms I always put them in my hand first so they could look at them and see them.

I just read a really good article about a different way to brood your chicks differently. I feel like I found it on this site, on the article forms. One of the suggestions was to have your chicks up on the table so you’re approaching them not from above, like a hawk, but from a
less predatory angle.

you could try putting your hand in the Brooder, and make your index and middle finger like chicken legs. I taught mine how to scratch around in the wood chips that way. They loved it. I also just left my hand in there and they would cuddle up against it and sleep. Watch how your chicks peck at food. If you mimic that action like your hand is a chicken, their instincts will kick in and they’ll start to imitate you. When I introduce them to meal worms I always put them in my hand first so they could look at them and see them.
I tried putting my hand in there and they ate their feed out of it until I made some noise taking my hand out of there they all starting jumping and chirping and running in all directions. :(

I tried putting my hand in there and they ate their feed out of it until I made some noise taking my hand out of there they all starting jumping and chirping and running in all direction
Keep putting your hand in there with food on it. They will get used to it and start to associate your hand with food. It will take some time and not happen all at once. When mine came home they were friendly but wouldn't come running to your hands. I got them on Sat and we put food in our hands and up it just sitting in the brooder. They now come running, well normally 1 will see it first and come then the rest have to come, and all crowd onto the hand with the food and some even climb further up the arm etc. Just give it time I am sure they will come around.

Back
Top Bottom