Fringed Yellow Loosestrife OK for chickens to eat?

Willowtr33

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2022
Hi all, I am new to posting to this forum but an active reader as I have found my best advice seems to come from this website!

Quick question though -- Is fringed yellow loosestrife ok for chickens to eat? I have seen people post about the purple loosestrife or loosestrife plant in general. From what I have read about those so far is that they seem okay for chickens to eat. Does that mean that the yellow fringed loosestrife is okay for chickens to eat as well?

Just wanted to make sure before feeding, it just so happens this plant goes naturally in our yard since moving in and the chickens seem to want to eat it! So far, I haven't been letting them. Want to know if I am a villain or hero (lol)!

Thank you in advance for any help or guidance!!

- Willowtr33

Welcome to BYC! I hope you enjoy your time here as much as I have.

A little research indicates the plant is edible and has medicinal properties (though I swear every plant I search is considered medicinal).

Loosestrife does contain tannins. I would try not to feed in large amounts. Do they have free access to it, or would you be chopping and delivering?

Some additional info https://www.herbal-supplement-resource.com/yellow-loosestrife-herb-benefits.html

Welcome to BYC! I hope you enjoy your time here as much as I have.

A little research indicates the plant is edible and has medicinal properties (though I swear every plant I search is considered medicinal).

Loosestrife does contain tannins. I would try not to feed in large amounts. Do they have free access to it, or would you be chopping and delivering?

Some additional info https://www.herbal-supplement-resource.com/yellow-loosestrife-herb-benefits.html
Thank you for looking that up for me! I ended up getting similar results in regard to this plant... but still found it questionable enough to not feed until looking into it further.

The plant does grow freely near their grazing area but not as much as it does in the front yard. I tend to be overly cautious with my chicken children so I have been weeding the plant out of their grazing area until I know if it is truly safe or not for them to eat.

If it is safe for them to eat, even in moderation, I would then maybe plant a few in their area/harvest a bit from the front yard every now and then for them (and of course stop weeding the few that do grow in their area), but until I know I just haven't done any of that.

Thanks again for your help -- any further guidance is appreciated.

- Willowtr33

Thank you for looking that up for me! I ended up getting similar results in regard to this plant... but still found it questionable enough to not feed until looking into it further.

The plant does grow freely near their grazing area but not as much as it does in the front yard. I tend to be overly cautious with my chicken children so I have been weeding the plant out of their grazing area until I know if it is truly safe or not for them to eat.

If it is safe for them to eat, even in moderation, I would then maybe plant a few in their area/harvest a bit from the front yard every now and then for them (and of course stop weeding the few that do grow in their area), but until I know I just haven't done any of that.

Thanks again for your help -- any further guidance is appreciated.

- Willowtr33
You're welcome. I try to only harvest what I know to be safe. I do toss pulled weeds to the chickens, but I know most to be safe. I don't worry too much about what they have access to on their own; most harmful plants don't taste good. Most animals will avoid harmful substances, including tannins, unless they have very few options.

Back
Top Bottom