Is Sweet broom/ French broom/ Spanish broom toxic to chickens?

Saraschickens

Chirping
Dec 8, 2023
Hi! I'm putting in a small pond near where my chickens roam. I want to put some plants around it. I bought a sweet broom, a dianthus, and some alyssum I'm going to plant into the yard somewhere. I also have a French broom and a Spanish broom that are waiting for a spot in the yard as well. My question is, are any of those plants toxic to chickens, and even if so, would they eat them anyway? Since chickens are pretty smart and will test but not always eat things that aren't good. My chickens a long time ago would always get up under my Oleanders, but nobody ever got sick or died from them. Thank you in advance to anyone with advice on this. Sorry if it's not in the right section, I didn't see any section for a question like this.
-Sara

Hi! I'm putting in a small pond near where my chickens roam. I want to put some plants around it. I bought a sweet broom, a dianthus, and some alyssum I'm going to plant into the yard somewhere. I also have a French broom and a Spanish broom that are waiting for a spot in the yard as well. My question is, are any of those plants toxic to chickens, and even if so, would they eat them anyway? Since chickens are pretty smart and will test but not always eat things that aren't good. My chickens a long time ago would always get up under my Oleanders, but nobody ever got sick or died from them. Thank you in advance to anyone with advice on this. Sorry if it's not in the right section, I didn't see any section for a question like this.
-Sara
You have two identical posts and mods will be deleting one so I'll take a chance that this one stays.

Here is a thread with a good list of what's poisonous or toxic to chickens.

That said, my chickens and probably most seem to know what's not good for them as they stay away from it. I wouldn't take the chance on purpose though, it's just we live bordering a forest and there are several things listed that are toxic to them which they avoid.

You have two identical posts and mods will be deleting one so I'll take a chance that this one stays.

Here is a thread with a good list of what's poisonous or toxic to chickens.

That said, my chickens and probably most seem to know what's not good for them as they stay away from it. I wouldn't take the chance on purpose though, it's just we live bordering a forest and there are several things listed that are toxic to them which they avoid.
Thank you! That list is very helpful! I appreciate it a lot!

Hi there,
And a foggy good morning from SW France.
We have wild broom growing in our garden.
It’s very pretty 😍
I’ve never got rid of it and the girlz leave it alone. So, in a nutshell I don’t know if it’s poisonous coz, as far as I’m aware, none of them touch it 🤷‍♀️
Hope this helps
Sleepy Hugz

Back
Top Bottom