Can you supplement chicken feed with plants, mealworms and fish?

DecemberSpices

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2023
I have about 20 hens that just free range and they get scraps. I don't give them pellets or crumbles unless it's winter time. They have always been very healthy since they have 2 acres to roam and lots of bugs and plants around to eat, however I got 12 silkies and I want to avoid buying pellets or crumbles but they don't forge as well as my other chickens and I have to put them in a different area since my other chickens bully them.

Question: Is there a way to supplement their food with plants, bugs and fish instead of having to buy pellets or crumbles?

I have the room and space to grow a garden and I have looked into breeding meal worms, and fish for them as well. I just don't know how to go about it.

I love my chickens and I'm giving my silkies feed right now but I'd also just like to look into all my options.

(the picture is of my Easter egger and one of my silkies)

Attachments

• PXL_20230812_210243154.jpg
    PXL_20230812_210243154.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 149
Last edited:
The feed has everything they need, adding anything reduces the nutritional value.
Silkies are prone to nutritional deficiency, I wouldn't be messing with their diet besides adding some nutritional yeast to it.
Find a nice high protein layer, 18%+, your girls will thank you.

The feed has everything they need, adding anything reduces the nutritional value.
Silkies are prone to nutritional deficiency, I wouldn't be messing with their diet besides adding some nutritional yeast to it.
Find a nice high protein layer, 18%+, your girls will thank you.
Yeah, that makes sense but I'd just like to see if there is anyway to supplement it but if not then I will find feed for them. I'm also interested in it for just being curious.

Yeah, that makes sense but I'd just like to see if there is anyway to supplement it but if not then I will find feed for them. I'm also interested in it for just being curious.
Do you live were getting feed is difficult?
There are ways but it's tricky to balance the necessary nutrients without overdoing fat or carbs, it's also expensive.
Mealworms are high in fat and chickens don't process all nutrients from plants since they don't have an herbivore digestion system.

Do you live were getting feed is difficult?
There are ways but it's tricky to balance the necessary nutrients without overdoing fat or carbs, it's also expensive.
Mealworms are high in fat and chickens don't process all nutrients from plants since they don't have an herbivore digestion system.
Yeah it is pretty hard to get feed where I am. The only feed that I can get, I'm told isn't good for them. Purina chicken feed I think it is. Most of the people around me just free range chickens since I live in the very country but since I have the silkies they just don't forge well. Would any other bug work instead of mealworms? I have also looked into fish as it has some vitamins they need. I don't mind spending the money on a bag of feed but I'm also curious what would go into just making your own by growing the plants and breeding the bugs and such. I already grow sunflowers, herbs and roses for my free range chickens.

Yeah it is pretty hard to get feed where I am. The only feed that I can get, I'm told isn't good for them. Purina chicken feed I think it is. Most of the people around me just free range chickens since I live in the very country but since I have the silkies they just don't forge well. Would any other bug work instead of mealworms? I have also looked into fish as it has some vitamins they need. I don't mind spending the money on a bag of feed but I'm also curious what would go into just making your own by growing the plants and breeding the bugs and such. I already grow sunflowers, herbs and roses for my free range chickens.
They can have chick feed as long as it isn't medicated or normal layer.
Unless you have atleast 6 acres you can devote exclusively chicken crops, you really can't grow a complete diet. All bugs are pretty high in fat but you could try Dubia roaches or cleaner shrimp.
Unless you live where there are feral flocks of chickens running around, free ranging isn't giving anyone's flock the proper nutrition.

They can have chick feed as long as it isn't medicated or normal layer.
Unless you have atleast 6 acres you can devote exclusively chicken crops, you really can't grow a complete diet. All bugs are pretty high in fat but you could try Dubia roaches or cleaner shrimp.
Unless you live where there are feral flocks of chickens running around, free ranging isn't giving anyone's flock the proper nutrition.
As I said I'm just going to give them pellets since Supplementing isn't a good option but I still want to see what people say about good plants and bugs for them for my own knowledge. I'd like to grow more stuff for my free range flock as well so the information would be useful and I'm just genuinely curious. Maybe I should make a different thread for that or would this one be okay? My free range flock is doing great though but thank you for the information.

Last edited:
As I said I'm just going to give them pellets since Supplementing isn't a good option but I still want to see what people say about good plants and bugs for them for my own knowledge. I'd like to grow more stuff for my free range flock as well so the information would be useful and I'm just genuinely curious. Maybe I should make a different thread for that or would this one be okay? My free range flock is doing great though but thank you for the information.
Since you seem determined, here's the best information I could find. Good luck :]
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/raising-dubia-roaches-for-your-chickens.68036/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/reasons-to-grow-a-chicken-garden.77552/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/herbs-flowers-and-weeds-for-chickens.67493/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...e-to-a-nutritious-and-sustainable-feed.78456/

Determined to learn? I'm honestly just very curious as I haven't found too much information and I thought this would be a good place to learn. You seem to come off as judgy and I'm just asking questions to learn more. I'm feeding my silkies pellets but I'd still like to have more information on the gardens and bugs now for my free range chickens and just for general knowledge. I'm trying to learn and gain knowledge about this subject. Thank you for the links

Question: Is there a way to supplement their food with plants, bugs and fish instead of having to buy pellets or crumbles?
The silkies will probably get better at foraging with experience, though being bullied is a different issue.

You might find this useful
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...eat-tears-a-calculator-or-deep-pockets.78655/
It includes a link to how to set up and maintain a mealworm farm.
Chickens are omnivores so you don't need to limit them to reduced diets.

And welcome to BYC :frow btw!

Back
Top Bottom