Pellets or crumbles picky hens/ late molting

Hey there everyone so I got some chickens after taking a break since September I bought four one and a half year olds barnyard mixes the rooster to the hands was an Americuana, and 2 Leghorn pullets who are going to start laying in the next few weeks. I've only been getting one or two eggs a day from the crosses that are laying brown eggs but for some reason they seem to be going through a molt in Feb around neck tail feathers, the guy I got them from said he fed them pellets but I still had a whole bag of crumbles from September in a sealed barrel so I started giving them that and then I figured let me buy a bag of Purina pellets with extra protein cuz I really want to get them on pellets, well they turn their beaks up at the pellets, so now I've been mixing the pellets with the crumble and I'm not sure if they're eating a little of both or what LOL the leghorns seem to be eating the pellets no problem since they're younger they're at the bottom of the pecking order so they'll eat whatever they can get. I figure I could ferment the pellets if worse comes to worse. But I really would like them on a higher protein feed especially the ones that lay blue eggs and since it's winter so I was thinking after I finish up this to switch over to all flock crumbles and supplement with oyster shell, but I really would like them to be on pellets cuz it's less fuss... I've been feeding layena, another reason I want to stick with that Purina brand is there sending me a couple $10 coupons cuz one of the bags I've bought had bolts in it and baseball-size gloves of food?? I returned it and got a refund and wrote to the company and gave them the lot number with pics, also I don't want to keep switching up brands, I was going to give them tractor supplies mini pellets but I didn't hear good things about them and when I used to use in the past I don't remember getting as high egg production but nothing significant, not sure whether I should just stick to my guns and force him to change over the pellets or change over to the all flock and supplement with calcium also what's up with this molting in February? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated thank you guys so much!
Chickens molt when they're stressed, so that could be your issue, but double check to make sure you're not dealing with mites.

As far as the pellets go, if you stick it out, they should shift when they get hungry! In the meantime, instead of buying two kinds of feed, try taking a mallet to some of the pellets to make them a bit smaller. Mixing them in with the pellets should give your picky eater a decent transition back to pellets.

The TSC brand feed has a lower protein %, for sure. I had no issues with it all summer, when my birds got lots of greens & bugs, but once the cold set in, egg production didn't just slow down, it stopped completely ... for the entire flock! Two weeks ago I changed back to Purina pellets and now we're getting eggs again. They're definitely not up to summer production, but at least The Ladies aren't on strike anymore!

All these are great ideas... They don't have mites and they're run area is half cement and half dirt so they get plenty of pebbles and rocks while pecking around. I checked them for mites and nothing. One is just molting a new tail and 3 others are molting around the neck area. I've always had them molt in fall so it odd to me lol. The other ones are to young to lay and I'm sure daylight is also a factor. I thought about adding light but the days are getting longer here now up til past 530 ish. Which is better than what it is in Dec Jan dark at 345. Also I noticed tsc pellets are better in summer when I pick them bushels of clover daily and other greens etc. I just hate the fuss. I would.make mash also but then that's also another thing I don't want them used too before they get used to their main staple food, I've given it a few times. I also put that flock vitamins in their water. Let's see where these girls end up. I've raised chicks for yearrrrrs but I'm over it so I try and buy started pullets the only ones you find for a "reasonable price" in CT are the sex links for 20 each people charge up to 30 for a pullet they grew from a hatchery etc. just one state over mass or ny they're easily 15$ for any breed. So I end up getting usuall1 yr olds and hope they're telling me the truth I've kept chickens for over 20 years I know all the tricks to tell, also stay away from auctions. At least here. But I have noticed with the blue egg layers they do take longer breaks in winter and pick up during spring summer and fall. I just hate playing the food game. I do pour the pellets in the bucket and break em.down some and put it in a duck feeder it has bigger pockets... And mix it with the old crumble in e I see they're eating more of it I'll start taking away the crumble and give it to em in summer wet as treat. We shall seeee. Jeez has anyone else noticed the crazy inflation even with rabbit feed etc. ?

Stop anything

Formulated chicken feed should really make up the bulk of their diet, their bodies don't process fruits and vegetables to the maximum like a herbivore.
By free-ranging, presumably they’re eating bugs and worms in addition to vegetable matter. They are omnivores. Formulated chicken feed is always available to them as well. No matter what they’re eating, I have found that grit is an important commodity.

By free-ranging, presumably they’re eating bugs and worms in addition to vegetable matter. They are omnivores. Formulated chicken feed is always available to them as well. No matter what they’re eating, I have found that grit is an important commodity.
I agree I offer appropriate sized grit to my hatchlings within first few days. Don't believe anybody was downplaying grit as a whole. Just pointing out that it was not needed for breaking down processed pellet feed to get full nutritional value from feed. I agree with everything you're saying just wanted to clarify about pelleted feed as you seemed to be in question yourself in your post.
Dense food pellets might not be very digestible without the grit/gravel. It doesn’t matter how much protein there is, they’re not gonna get it if it doesn’t get ground up.

And I used to free range and butcher some of my roosters I would find so many rocks that they picked up.... I'm sure that ground up the food properly as well but having grit added it's always a plus, do they put grit inside layer feed by the way just wondering I've heard I think that they do but I don't think so.....

Back
Top Bottom