Pellets or crumbles picky hens/ late molting

chkncrazy

Songster
6 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Connecticut
Hey there everyone so I got some chickens after taking a break since September I bought four one and a half year olds barnyard mixes the rooster to the hands was an Americuana, and 2 Leghorn pullets who are going to start laying in the next few weeks. I've only been getting one or two eggs a day from the crosses that are laying brown eggs but for some reason they seem to be going through a molt in Feb around neck tail feathers, the guy I got them from said he fed them pellets but I still had a whole bag of crumbles from September in a sealed barrel so I started giving them that and then I figured let me buy a bag of Purina pellets with extra protein cuz I really want to get them on pellets, well they turn their beaks up at the pellets, so now I've been mixing the pellets with the crumble and I'm not sure if they're eating a little of both or what LOL the leghorns seem to be eating the pellets no problem since they're younger they're at the bottom of the pecking order so they'll eat whatever they can get. I figure I could ferment the pellets if worse comes to worse. But I really would like them on a higher protein feed especially the ones that lay blue eggs and since it's winter so I was thinking after I finish up this to switch over to all flock crumbles and supplement with oyster shell, but I really would like them to be on pellets cuz it's less fuss... I've been feeding layena, another reason I want to stick with that Purina brand is there sending me a couple $10 coupons cuz one of the bags I've bought had bolts in it and baseball-size gloves of food?? I returned it and got a refund and wrote to the company and gave them the lot number with pics, also I don't want to keep switching up brands, I was going to give them tractor supplies mini pellets but I didn't hear good things about them and when I used to use in the past I don't remember getting as high egg production but nothing significant, not sure whether I should just stick to my guns and force him to change over the pellets or change over to the all flock and supplement with calcium also what's up with this molting in February? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated thank you guys so much!

I like pellets because my chickens waste crumbles. Remember chickens can train us on how to feed them. We must be stern in keeping their diet on track. Do a slow switch to pellets and expect them to refuse to eat them for a day or so. However, it doesn't take long for them to get the idea if you remain firm in what you feed them. Chickens are like kids, they will eat candy all day long if you let them.

I like pellets because my chickens waste crumbles. Remember chickens can train us on how to feed them. We must be stern in keeping their diet on track. Do a slow switch to pellets and expect them to refuse to eat them for a day or so. However, it doesn't take long for them to get the idea if you remain firm in what you feed them. Chickens are like kids, they will eat candy all day long if you let them.
Oh I know, they have me trained, my uncle is partial owner of a bakery too so I get tons of leftover bread I take a loaf and I rough chop it in an old food processor so they eat all of it and not just the inside I give that to them three times a week and no treats such as cracked etc, I don't free range we have snow on the ground right now anyway. They get some kitchen scraps like the leftover pasta that we have on Sundays... Sometimes I dip the bread inside the sauce that's left over for old and give it to them but for the most part it's just their feed, they were on pellets before I got them but because I had the crumbles I didn't want that to go to waste I should have bought a new bag from the get-go and giving them crumbles later on.... Have you ever heard of any molting in late February or just late in Winter before?

Hey there everyone so I got some chickens after taking a break since September I bought four one and a half year olds barnyard mixes the rooster to the hands was an Americuana, and 2 Leghorn pullets who are going to start laying in the next few weeks. I've only been getting one or two eggs a day from the crosses that are laying brown eggs but for some reason they seem to be going through a molt in Feb around neck tail feathers, the guy I got them from said he fed them pellets but I still had a whole bag of crumbles from September in a sealed barrel so I started giving them that and then I figured let me buy a bag of Purina pellets with extra protein cuz I really want to get them on pellets, well they turn their beaks up at the pellets, so now I've been mixing the pellets with the crumble and I'm not sure if they're eating a little of both or what LOL the leghorns seem to be eating the pellets no problem since they're younger they're at the bottom of the pecking order so they'll eat whatever they can get. I figure I could ferment the pellets if worse comes to worse. But I really would like them on a higher protein feed especially the ones that lay blue eggs and since it's winter so I was thinking after I finish up this to switch over to all flock crumbles and supplement with oyster shell, but I really would like them to be on pellets cuz it's less fuss... I've been feeding layena, another reason I want to stick with that Purina brand is there sending me a couple $10 coupons cuz one of the bags I've bought had bolts in it and baseball-size gloves of food?? I returned it and got a refund and wrote to the company and gave them the lot number with pics, also I don't want to keep switching up brands, I was going to give them tractor supplies mini pellets but I didn't hear good things about them and when I used to use in the past I don't remember getting as high egg production but nothing significant, not sure whether I should just stick to my guns and force him to change over the pellets or change over to the all flock and supplement with calcium also what's up with this molting in February? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated thank you guys so much!
It’s complicated. Yes, they should have high protein food; i.e. 16%+ layer pellets. But my chickens don’t really prefer the pellets, either, especially once they have had some chicken scratch - which is basically crumbled up corn that they love. But that’s not as high in protein so I feed that in small quantities. It’s like letting a kid have some candy; once they have a little bit of candy then they don’t want to eat their supper. So I try to restrict the chicken scratch, which they love, to small treat type quantities that I sprinkle out on the ground so at least they have to scratch and peck, which is normal chicken behavior. In regard to them turning up their noses at food in general and egg production - not only is it complicated by molting and the seasons- length of days & amount of light available and perhaps temperature and other inclement weather, but also we need to make sure that they have access to small gravel (grit) roughage. It’s my understanding that goes into the gizzard basically and helps grind up food making it more digestible for them. Dense food pellets might not be very digestible without the grit/gravel. It doesn’t matter how much protein there is, they’re not gonna get it if it doesn’t get ground up. I guess you could just purchase crumbles and feed that to them but frankly, I don’t like the crumbles as they disappear into the ground and it’s not my preference - nor does it seem to be my Chickens preference. And I do believe the ground up gravel which you can buy by the bag at Tractor Supply should be made readily available to them in a dish, if they don’t already have access to such things on the ground. I found that after I provided that they were eating better. They were more willing to eat the pellets.
In addition, I have a light on a timer that comes on to extend the day a few hours, and also to attract the chickens back into the barn in evening as they tend to follow the light. It seems like since I have extended the winter day by a few hours I’ve gotten better egg production. Going from two or three eggs a day to five or six eggs a day with my eight hens, two or three of whom are probably retired. That’s been my experience it might not be yours. Good luck.

Oh I know, they have me trained, my uncle is partial owner of a bakery too so I get tons of leftover bread I take a loaf and I rough chop it in an old food processor so they eat all of it and not just the inside I give that to them three times a week and no treats such as cracked etc, I don't free range we have snow on the ground right now anyway. They get some kitchen scraps like the leftover pasta that we have on Sundays... Sometimes I dip the bread inside the sauce that's left over for old and give it to them but for the most part it's just their feed, they were on pellets before I got them but because I had the crumbles I didn't want that to go to waste I should have bought a new bag from the get-go and giving them crumbles later on.... Have you ever heard of any molting in late February or just late in Winter before?
I have some chickens and turkeys molting right now. I make sure they’re getting higher protein feed to help with feather growth and some extra vitamins and minerals in the water. Every winter, I’ll have a few birds go into a heavy molt. I sometimes need to move them just to give them extra care if I see them struggling in the cold.

food pellets might not be very digestible without the grit/gravel. It doesn’t matter how much protein there is, they’re not gonna get it if it doesn’t get ground up.
Food pellets are processed feed that does not need grit to be digested. Just let them get wet and see how they fall apart and turn to mush. They are just crumble feed that has been put into pellet form. So, no need to worry about them not getting all nutrients that is in pellet feed without grit. I like pellet feed for less waste.

Food pellets are processed feed that does not need grit to be digested. Just let them get wet and see how they fall apart and turn to mush. They are just crumble feed that has been put into pellet form. So, no need to worry about them not getting all nutrients that is in pellet feed without grit. I like pellet feed for less waste.
OK so when do they need grit? And how do you encourage the chickens to eat pellets when they really don’t seem to like them.?

OK so when do they need grit? And how do you encourage the chickens to eat pellets when they really don’t seem to like them.?
Grit is needed for anything that is not a processed feed. Like none processed whole grains and vegetables, fruits. Anything that is not pre ground/processed in some way as to be small enough to be digested. As far as getting them to eat them I have never had any trouble with any of my birds eating pelleted feed. They may prefer something other but as others have stated they will not starve themselves and will eat them and get used to them.👇

Last edited:
Indeed. And I prefer to give them more natural foods, in which case they need grit as you pointed out. I let them free range a lot. Even though they don’t prefer pellets, they certainly will not starve themselves and eventually they will eat them. It also depends on what they get used to eating. like people they have habits and preferences.

Stop anything
Indeed. And I prefer to give them more natural foods, in which case they need grit as you pointed out. I let them free range a lot. Even though they don’t prefer pellets, they certainly will not starve themselves and eventually they will eat them. It also depends on what they get used to eating. like people they have habits and preferences.
Formulated chicken feed should really make up the bulk of their diet, their bodies don't process fruits and vegetables to the maximum like a herbivore.

Back
Top Bottom