Are there other feeding options?

aworth

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2023
Hi ! My chicks are finally grown :) I have been receiving precious eggs here and there and this just started a few days ago! However, I do have a question about feed. My chickens are organic. They ate organic starter feed ,& are now on organic layer blend (it’s crumbly not pellets) & also free range through out the day pecking at bugs and what not. I also give them scratch. I was wondering if this is correct, to have layer blend as their main source of food, or should they be eating something else? They are all beautiful and healthy and seem to be happy! Thanks 😁

Nothing wrong with layer blend for hens this age. Many of us feed an all flock/flock raiser feed which is a little higher in protein, doesn't contain the calcium, and we provide the calcium separately as oyster shell or oyster shell mixed with crushed egg shells in a separate feeder. Layer feed is usually 16% protein, flock raisers and starter/growers are usually in the 18-20% protein range. When you have multiple ages, or have roosters in the flock, it tends to work better, they can take what they need and birds that don't need the extra calcium won't get it. The layer has calcium in it, but it's still a good idea to provide the oyster shell as needs can vary. Long term the extra calcium in the layer feed can sometimes cause problems. Birds out of lay (molting, winter break, or old enough to quit laying) don't need the calcium and it can contribute to gout, and kidney problems. It can also affect egg shells, too little can cause weak, thin, or non shelled eggs, too much can cause rough spots or lumps on eggs. Roosters don't need the extra calcium and it can cause problems for them. Baby chicks should not be given layer feed as the calcium can damage organs as they grow. So when chicks are in the mix the all flock is better, it doesn't contain the extra calcium (or feed the whole flock the starter/grower with oyster shell available in a separate feeder). I feed my brooder chicks a starter/grower while in the brooder and switch them to all flock when they go out with the flock, it's just easier. Broody hen raised chicks get the all flock from the beginning. Whether to use crumbles or pellets is just a choice, which ever form works for you and which ever your birds prefer. Be careful with the scratch. They love it, and it can make them fat and cause a lot of health problems. They will eat the scratch and leave the feed. It should be only occasionally, and all treats (everything other than the feed) should not be more than 10% of the total diet. It is VERY easy to over do the treats, we are all guilty of it sometimes.

You might want to read this about raising organic poultry/eggs.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/Poultry - Guidelines.pdf

This paragraph about housing was interesting to me.

"Lumber treated with arsenate or other prohibited substances may not be used for new construction that will come into direct contact with soil or livestock. For example, treated wood should not be used to constructbrooder housing or portable pens where poultry can have direct contact with the wood."

You should find out what the nutritional profile of grass is, before repeating this nonsense.
A cow eats for 20 hours a day, has an extremely complicated digestive system and has to spit the grass out and chew it multiple times. That really tells me all I need to know. Neither humans nor chickens can extract sufficient nutrition from grass

Your powers of deduction are noted.
For others, this might be of interest
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...enefit-provided-by-this-everyday-green.67397/
An article wrote by a "dancer and photographer" isn't evidence for the ability of chickens to digest grass. Dogs also eat grass and I can see how a child would confuse this with the ability to actually digest grass

Ruminants are animals that actually eat grass to live and they universally have highly specialized digestive systems to process the grass. They also often vomit up the grass to chew it repeatedly

Just because something goes into an animal's mouth doesn't mean it's getting nutrition. I'm sure you've also seen your chickens consuming rocks but they aren't getting nutrition from those either

I'm sure you're well aware that if you gave coop chickens only grass to eat they would swiftly die

https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/animals/dairy/Whats_in_Grass_Todays_Farm_May2014.pdf
edited to add, for those who don't do pdfs, the nonsense is revealed by the bit that says "The energy demands of the dairy cow can be met by a grass only diet throughout the main grazing season, with some supplementation needed at the shoulders of the year when grass supply is limiting. Likewise the energy demands of the suckler cow, calves, yearlings and finishing steers & heifers can be met by a grass only diet", written in a farming publication, for farmers, by the Irish Agriculture and Food Development Authority, in Ireland. The facts and figures for grass nutrition are given in the pdf.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom