Rat proof feeder options.

So if I have a flock of 15 - what size treadle feeder would I need - I’m fighting with them as well.
Depends on how long you want to go without having to refill the feeder. Figure a quarter pound of feed per bird so a small feeder holding 12 pounds will go for 3 days. A medium feeder holding 32 pounds, 8 days. An extra large holding 63 pounds, almost 17 days.

If the flock has been together a long time with the pecking order established then the days between re fills determines the size of feeder. If the flock is recently been added to I would go wit two feeders for 15 birds. Set the feeders as far apart as possible, with no line of sight if that is possible.

I love this idea especially with the metal cans. Sadly, the PVC feeder doesn’t deter the rats here. They crawl right in through the PVC. We currently have these setup.
I hope using these works for others. I have the most determined rats ever I think. My feeders with these openings have been chewed through, they’ve chewed through the wood walls, they chewed thru my Omlet coop back door, they chewed through the Omlet coop trays, and they’ve managed to dig under my coops to find a gap in the hardware cloth, chewed through the rubberized 1”thick mat and up into the coop, and they chewed thru the rusty bottom of a horse trough. I have not found anything that keeps them out except metal and hardware cloth. I think I have super rats that are bionic or something. 😩😩😩

NOT A GOOD PURCHASE
Hi, More of a heads up than anything else, I was concerned about having the same problem so purchased one of these …
The idea and principle is great. Unfortunately the nature of the food, being dusty and gritty, makes it fail. The dust and grit get stuck in the mechanisms and it either jams open or closed. Open mostly.
Just thought I would throw in my experience.
Hugz

Attachments

• IMG_3630.jpeg
    IMG_3630.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 2
I hope using these works for others. I have the most determined rats ever I think. My feeders with these openings have been chewed through, they’ve chewed through the wood walls, they chewed thru my Omlet coop back door, they chewed through the Omlet coop trays, and they’ve managed to dig under my coops to find a gap in the hardware cloth, chewed through the rubberized 1”thick mat and up into the coop, and they chewed thru the rusty bottom of a horse trough. I have not found anything that keeps them out except metal and hardware cloth. I think I have super rats that are bionic or something. 😩😩😩
Holy rats teeth Batman you have a problem !

Our hen house backs onto a wood and we don’t have a problem like that. The rats and I have an arrangement- if I see either them or damage it’s war and the traps come out. If I don’t see them that’s fine.

Perhaps you should put away your power tools ?
Hugz

NOT A GOOD PURCHASE
Hi, More of a heads up than anything else, I was concerned about having the same problem so purchased one of these …
The idea and principle is great. Unfortunately the nature of the food, being dusty and gritty, makes it fail. The dust and grit get stuck in the mechanisms and it either jams open or closed. Open mostly.
Just thought I would throw in my experience.
Hugz
That one is a stinker. It had a review from a greenie type site that reviews feeders not too long after it hit the market that laid out the issues with the feeder. Innovative but junk.
https://chickenfeederreviews.com/roamwild-pestoff-rat-proof-chicken-feeder/

You have normal rats. They like to chew because they have to chew or die. Wearing down the teeth prevents them from curling up into their skull. You are right about materials, solid metal or hardware cloth. Even concrete can be chewed through. PVC? A few hours to chew through.

Back
Top Bottom