Rat proof feeder options.

coffeeaddict

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2014
IMG_4330.jpeg

The other night I found two large, glossy coated rats enjoying our expensive organic chicken feed. I’d estimate rats have been eating almost half of our feed. After researching treadle feeders, it seems like the Ratproof feeder would be a great option. Unfortunately, I have two hens (brabanter and cream legbar) that are under 1 lb. and am concerned they can’t open a treadle feeder. They are also the lowest of the pecking order so unlikely they can eat while the larger hens have the feeder open. Other than removing the food every night, any ideas on how to deter these rats. 😩😭

Do you know how/where they're getting in?
They are getting in through the roof which is chicken wire. They climb the trees!😩 The chicken run is mostly hardwire cloth but 1/3 is still chicken wire. Unfortunately, we can’t replace it all right now. The large chicken coop/run was inherited from the previous property owner so we’ve tried to reinforce as much as possible and make it work.

I should add that I’ve also tried cayenne and although it seemed to work in the past, these rats are more persistent or maybe I need to add a larger dose to the feed. That also gets pricey adding cayenne to every 50lb bag of feed. 😭

View attachment 3756271
The other night I found two large, glossy coated rats enjoying our expensive organic chicken feed. I’d estimate rats have been eating almost half of our feed. After researching treadle feeders, it seems like the Ratproof feeder would be a great option. Unfortunately, I have two hens (brabanter and cream legbar) that are under 1 lb. and am concerned they can’t open a treadle feeder. They are also the lowest of the pecking order so unlikely they can eat while the larger hens have the feeder open. Other than removing the food every night, any ideas on how to deter these rats. 😩😭
I use a 30 gal metal trash can, cut 4 holes in it and stick the 3 in pvc street elbow in it. This helped tremendously with waste and mice/rats here. I made quite a few for the chicken barns. Here's a picture, there's more detailed versions online

Attachments

• IMG_20230804_210856.jpg
    IMG_20230804_210856.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 34
I also hang a feeder that I could take in if I needed to. I know that's a pain but it's better than something eating my good feed! Add cayenne pepper powder to the part they eat from each night so there's plenty to burn their nostrils & eyes. That would deter me! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom