Need help finding/making a baby chick feeder

Just cut a 2 liter soda bottle along the bottom and fold it in. Poke two holes and use a piece of string to fold it in most of the way and secure it there. Took me a dollar and two minutes to make a gravity feeder for my first chicks
yeah I can't seem to get how this would work. I mean, I have seen bottles used for gravity feeders before but not getting a visual in my head.

Taps on shoulder, and points up to title.

View attachment 3605655

Most people would say that is DIY. LOL

Look, I'm not saying you were wrong for posting your feedback, but you really should apologize to the person DIRECTLY and without all the trying to justify it at the same time. Otherwise that just defeats and nullifies apologizing.

Plus their stuff was real on point.

If that you in the profile pic, love the spunky look on your face.

Tata for now.
I apologize that my apology wasn't sufficient. I was attempting to explain why I responded the way I did, not necessarily to justify it. (I was also attempting to bring a little levity to the situation, apparently unsuccessfully. )

Yes, that is me in the pic (it was the first time I got an egg from each of my 8 pullets in a single day - pretty exciting)

@Mouthpear I apologize for misunderstanding your intentions when tagging me in your response to my post. Your DIY chick feeder is a great idea. I'm also sorry I responded to you with a GIF of Blanche from Golden Girls. I didn't fully grasp the seriousness with which you DIY. I should have read the room and realized it wouldn't have gone over well. Bad form on my part. I hope your DIY excellence continues to inspire all who seek it out!

Sincerely,
ChickyChook

yeah I can't seem to get how this would work. I mean, I have seen bottles used for gravity feeders before but not getting a visual in my head.
Here's my artistic rendition of a 2 liter soda bottle gravity feeder. It's just cutting half of the bottom and then folding it in 90% of the way and securing the fold
OL177WX~2.jpg

They sell them at rural Walmarts too. I have several and they work great for chicks. However I found it best to elevate them to a height just under the beak. They can stretch to reach it but it cuts down on the climbing on it and reduces kicked litter.

It reduces the mess. But they still make one.

They sell them at rural Walmarts too. I have several and they work great for chicks. However I found it best to elevate them to a height just under the beak. They can stretch to reach it but it cuts down on the climbing on it and reduces kicked litter.

It reduces the mess. But they still make one.

Adding the top and lid of a Miracle Whip jar really cuts down the waste.

I buy these from tractor supply. They come apart for easy cleaning.

2106331.jpg

and get my empty Miracle Whip plastic jars and fill them up. You can or could have filled several and all they would have to do is change over the tray.

Get the lid and cut out the center.

001.jpg

Screw in the jar first and set the lid inside, to get the proper depth and keep level. Glue to feeder lid.

002.jpg

Cut top part of another jar. Cut more than needed, to start.

003.jpg
004.jpg

Trim down to a level you want the feed to be at. Mine is just over three nickels stacked.

005.jpg

Hang using chain and a snap hook. Makes it easy to adjust the height as they grow. Hanging also keeps them from knocking it over.

006.jpg

Here's my artistic rendition of a 2 liter soda bottle gravity feeder. It's just cutting half of the bottom and then folding it in 90% of the way and securing the fold
View attachment 3605689
Ok I gave it a go. Honestly I am not liking it.

• Think the small opening would take too long to fill even with a funnel
  • Not stable on it's own
  • Cutting and trying to poke the hole in the right spot take a lot of care. That plastic just was a bit to slippery.
  • On that point the jagged edges make it had to work with and would be too much to clean up.
  • Opening seems like it would let out too much. Tried it small at first but had to cut more and more.
All in all maybe some actual pics would help. Maybe some pointers. Willing to give it another go. Need more bottles tho. There goes my diet. LOL

20230810_225952.jpg
20230810_230006.jpg
20230810_230017.jpg

However it spurred me on to make one the way I used to make my first feeders. When I was around ten. Walking home with my brothers and sisters, from school, a car drove up showed me a box of ducks and said, "you want'em.?". Tires were burning rubber the second they heard the word "YES!". BOY were my parents PO. So I had to make feeders. 3 liter bottles in a family of 7 children, there were plenty. Concept is the same.

Will work for water too.
Using 2 1 gallon bottles of water, cut the top off one and windows/ports. I used some car door edge protection trim. to protect the babies. However electrical tape should work. Well until it gets hot.

20230810_224627.jpg
20230810_224638.jpg
20230810_224727.jpg

Push down till there is only about 1/4" to the bottom dimple/cone. Cone would really help disperse the food better.

20230810_224753.jpg
20230810_224832.jpg

I would cut 4 windows but since I already have other feeders, and this is a quick throw together, I just did 2.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom