Need help finding/making a baby chick feeder

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
I have two buckets with feeding ports and one treadle feeder that can be accessed when stepped on. My chickens love this but I have newly hatched chicks that aren't able to access them.

In about two weeks I'll be gone for ten days and my brother will be slightly monitoring them. The youngest chick will be about two weeks old and the oldest three weeks old. My brother will be gone for most of the day though and he tries to make things as low maintenance as possible.

I don't think the chicks will be old enough to access the port feeders by then. I tried making this chick feeder but the mama hens like to kick feed everywhere and one already kicked off the little tray made from a water bottle.

Any suggestions on chick feeders that will last them for about a week? Maybe having it rat proof too is too much to ask but if possible that would be ideal.

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20230710_032039079.jpg
    PXL_20230710_032039079.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 285
I have one of these...it's really not very large (Amazon ad says 4 lbs, but the tag shown in one of the images says 4 cups. Cups is probably closer to reality.) The feeder works ok, but the chicks bill feed out and waste a lot of feed. I set my feeder in a pie pan, then each day, I empty the pie pan feed back into the feeder and fill with more feed.

chick feeder.JPG

I have two buckets with feeding ports and one treadle feeder that can be accessed when stepped on. My chickens love this but I have newly hatched chicks that aren't able to access them.

In about two weeks I'll be gone for ten days and my brother will be slightly monitoring them. The youngest chick will be about two weeks old and the oldest three weeks old. My brother will be gone for most of the day though and he tries to make things as low maintenance as possible.

I don't think the chicks will be old enough to access the port feeders by then. I tried making this chick feeder but the mama hens like to kick feed everywhere and one already kicked off the little tray made from a water bottle.

Any suggestions on chick feeders that will last them for about a week? Maybe having it rat proof too is too much to ask but if possible that would be ideal.

Thanks!

I buy these from tractor supply

2106331.jpg

and get my empty Miracle Whip plastic jars and fill them up. You can or could have filled several and all they would have to do is change over the tray.

IMG_20170219_150738.jpg
IMG_20170219_150748.jpg

In the second pic, you can barely see that I cut the top of another jar and inserted it inside the tray. Keeps that trey from filling to the brim and the chicks from dumping it out.

What you can do is cut the bottom of the jar off, and insert a 3" PVC pipe to make it hold more feed. Cap it with a pvc cap.

For water you cam make a water feeder like this. Self filling and has sight level. Height adjustable to accommodate their growth.

Last edited:
Any suggestions on chick feeders that will last them for about a week?
More on the feeder from my above comment.

I buy these from tractor supply. They come apart for easy cleaning.

2106331.jpg

and get my empty Miracle Whip plastic jars and fill them up. You can or could have filled several and all they would have to do is change over the tray.

Get the lid and cut out the center.

001.jpg

Screw in the jar first and set the lid inside, to get the proper depth and keep level. Glue to feeder lid.

002.jpg

Cut top part of another jar. Cut more than needed, to start.

003.jpg
004.jpg

Trim down to a level you want the feed to be at. Mine is just over three nickels stacked.

005.jpg

Hang using chain and a snap hook. Makes it easy to adjust the height as they grow. Hanging also keeps them from knocking it over.

006.jpg

No need to get fancy with the hanger.

007.jpg

Expandable for more capacity. Use a 3 in. x 24 in. PVC Sch. 40 Pipe. Cut the bottom off to the first ridge and cut as clean as you can. Save bottom.

008.jpg

Expandable. If need more capacity but height is an issue, you can alway use a 3" x 4" PVC reducer and add 4" pipe instead (No picture of it done).

009.jpg
61t+8loj1kL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Secure using small screws. Preferably stainless. Mark pipe and seam for aligning for reassembly or after cleaning. Use tape, around the jar and PVC, to make a seal, if used outside.

010.jpg
011.jpg

Take bottom and screw one side to top of pipe. Remove and cut slits 1 in to either side of screw hole.

012.jpg
013.jpg
014.jpg

Screw the other side. Cut an 7 shaped slot up to the hole. Use as latch. Hang same way except drill the holes in the PVC not the lid.

015.jpg
016.jpg
017.jpg
018.jpg

Examples.

018 C.jpg
018 A.jpg
018 B.jpg

Give it a sombrero/umbrella, for the rainy days, if used outside.

019.jpg

Anymore details needed, just ask.
Let me know if this is useful to you. TY

Last edited:
but the chicks bill feed out and waste a lot of feed.
I had the same problem with these feeders but solved it by doing this.

Get the lid and cut out the center.

001.jpg

Screw in the jar first and set the lid inside, to get the proper depth and keep level. Glue to feeder lid.

002.jpg

Cut top part of another jar. Cut more than needed, to start.

003.jpg
004.jpg

Trim down to a level you want the feed to be at. Mine is just over three nickels stacked.

005.jpg
Plus hanging it helps a lot too.

Rent-a-Coop makes a "chick2chicken" port feeder that can be used by very small chicks (and adult chickens when elevated). I used these with my chicks after they were about 10 days old, and they did great! It holds about 10lbs of Feed.

RentACoop Chick2Chicken 10lb BPA-Free 4-Port Feeder - Includes Anti-Roost Cone, Slider Port Cover, and Lid - Suitable for up to 20 Chicks & 12 Adult Chickens https://a.co/d/aizmZzR

20220930_103835.jpg

Rent-a-Coop makes a "chick2chicken" port feeder that can be used by very small chicks (and adult chickens when elevated). I used these with my chicks after they were about 10 days old, and they did great! It holds about 10lbs of Feed.

RentACoop Chick2Chicken 10lb BPA-Free 4-Port Feeder - Includes Anti-Roost Cone, Slider Port Cover, and Lid - Suitable for up to 20 Chicks & 12 Adult Chickens https://a.co/d/aizmZzR

View attachment 3604612
Those are nice an all but for the price You can make something twice as nice.

3x as nice. If you are going by container size.

61DMS-eu9nL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
614l0NI8SfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

$33.97 plus added bonus of water cups. (I don't like water cup but for the price....) vs $37.95 a smaller container and only four ports.

Those are nice an all but for the price You can make something twice as nice.

3x as nice. If you are going by container size.

61DMS-eu9nL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
614l0NI8SfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

$33.97 plus added bonus of water cups. (I don't like water cup but for the price....) vs $37.95 a smaller container and only four ports.
Sure, but we're talking about baby chicks that need baby chick ports. The ports on the Rent-a-Coop feeder are designed for small chicks. Additionally, while it may be cheaper to DIY, not everyone wants to do that (I sure as heck don't).

I was only giving a suggestion based on what the OP is looking for and what worked very well for me. They have been given many options, so hopefully they find something that works. :)

Sure, but we're talking about baby chicks that need baby chick ports.
Yes i know that. That is why the ports I linked to are the same type and work for babies and adults.

Additionally, while it may be cheaper to DIY, not everyone wants to do that
OP Never specified whether they want DIY or not. Also what I propose is ONLY one step more. Drilling the holes. Your option still has them putting it together. So drilling holes is simple and it even comes with the tool to do it.

I was only giving a suggestion based on what the OP is looking for
So am I. Just pointing out that it is cheaper doing it the way I suggest. Like you said.
They have been given many options,

Back
Top Bottom