Do your port ("bucket") feeders keep house sparrows out?

I've found that port feeders with pellets -- rather than crumbles -- helps keep sparrows out. There are still plenty of sparrows around my yard, but they tend to focus on the crumbs that get billed out rather than getting inside the port feeder itself. Not perfect, but better then more open style feeders.

Thanks for replies, but actually hoping to hear from folks who are currently using bucket feeders with the elbow joint-type 'ports' (openings) and whether sparrows are eating chicken feed from those feeders, or getting inside those type of feeders.;)
I use bucket feeders, Tex and they work great for us. Have never seen wild birds at them. The ports are set high enough up that on the inside they are at least an inch above the bottom of the bucket, so there is always feed below the bottom of the port if that makes sense. That is, the port does not sit right on the bottom of the bucket.

The only issue we had was with a BJG rooster; although our first bucket had four-inch openings, he got frostbite on both his comb and wattles. We'd used 4" OD 90-degree street elbows. On my current buckets, I purchased a kit from Bomgaars. These are only 45-degree bends but they are also only 3" diameter. I would suggest if you have chickens with large combs that you use the 45-degree PVC bends and a 4" opening.

We set our buckets up on blocks because otherwise the ports are a little too low for our birds. The Bomgaar's kit said to center the ports 3" above the bottom of the bucket; that's too low. I think 5" would be better. Pic follows.

Last edited:
Okay, this first one was our first effort and it's a bit aged and soon to be replaced. The center of the ports, as we have it set right now, are 9" above the ground.

1000007120.jpg

This second one has the center of the ports 7" above the ground. I probably should switch them but the chickens can eat out of both, so it's all good. At any rate, the ports should be at about your chickens' chest height. I hope this helps.

1000007119.jpg

Back
Top Bottom