Showing off my new large waterer I built, also looking for advice on large feeders.

Melko

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2023
I kinda got tired of having to change the water in the chicken cook practically every other day, despite using one of those 5USG bucket waterers AND a 25L "flip" style waterer...
There was also a hygiene issue with the bucket, the choocks would sit atop the bucket while sleeping, and that often meant their poop falling directly into their drinking cups. Nasty!

I ordered some parts, whole build took a bit to come together, but it's finally complete.
Main components:
  • Autofilling drinking cups with T-Fittings
  • 1/2" PVC Pipe and 90 degree fitting
  • Various bits of scrap wood from previous pprojects
  • 2 1/2" PVC Valves. These are very important!
  • A water tank (I used a 200L drum)
  • 2 Uniseals, since I couldn't find bulkheads that fit...
20240307_175806.jpg

Used the scrap wood to make a stand for the water tank. Put in two 31mm holes in the drum, one to go to the cups and another for draining the drum if needed.
Fit the Uniseals, connect everything up, and it's working perfectly.
20240307_175758.jpg

Not pictured: I added a diagonal brace to help brace the stand, and some pavers below the legs.
Not visible is the PVC valves, those have to be there on both pipes. The drinking cup valves can't hold back 200kg of water pressure!

Now that I've got water up and figured out, I'm looking for a feeding solution. Something I can toss in 20-50kg of feed into and not worry about it for a while...
I used to use those feeders where you'd cut a port into a box but I have to issues with those:
1. The feed between the ports never actually gets touched and tends to just sit there. Not an issue with a small feeder, but could be a problem if I built a much bgger one.
2. Small birds can get into my run, and multiple times they'd enter the feeder through the port (to eat), get stuck inside, then die and I'd have to toss out a bucket full of feed.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas for large, auto-filling, feeders it would be appreciated...

Wow love the waterer, I’ve seen the little cups online but as I have 10 thumbs and am dangerous with tools I felt the bits would probably end up in the wardrobe in the spare room with the food processor.
I use a three litre upside down thingy for my eight hens. It’s green , I love green 😊 I have to change it regularly but I can lift it easily which is more than I could with the larger one I had before. Also I can put an ice pack into it in the summer.
I don’t put lots of feed down for them, I’m always scared it will get damp, also we have a small wood next door. Woods = rats etc. I have a large oven tray cleaner. Yeah I know weird ! It’s about 80cm x 60cm and heavy. They can stand on the sides without it tipping over, climb inside to eat and most importantly no spillage. I keep it inside the hen house. Although that doesn’t stop the wild birds flying in and out and, occasionally getting frantic inside. I don’t mind the wild birds it’s just the four footed fiends I resent.
Hope you find something good for you,
Hugz

Looks great just one thing that might become a problem. Looks like the birds can hop up and roost on it and get droppings in water cups or even damage them. I would have line up against fencing or something as to keep them from roosting/jumping on it.

Looks great just one thing that might become a problem. Looks like the birds can hop up and roost on it and get droppings in water cups or even damage them. I would have line up against fencing or something as to keep them from roosting/jumping on it.
True that, might have to add a plank across the top just to make sure that if they roost their poop doesn't fall into the cups

Here's my setup. Been working well so far.

Attachments

• chicken coop005.jpg
    chicken coop005.jpg
    797 KB · Views: 6
  • chicken coop007.jpg
    chicken coop007.jpg
    846.5 KB · Views: 6
  • chicken coop008.jpg
    chicken coop008.jpg
    994 KB · Views: 5
  • chicken coop011.jpg
    chicken coop011.jpg