is 20% protein ok for laying hens?

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
My flock is starting to lay and I bought a bag of Kalmbach layer pellets to switch them once they finish their grower feed. However, I think I am going to return it and get starter/grower grumbles instead since we just decided to add some chicks to the mix and it doesn't make sense to switch to layer then back again. With all this im beginning to think I should just keep them all on grower crumbles with oyster shells on the side indefinitely. I am looking at the organic Kalmbach starter/grower and see its 20% protein which is significantly higher than layer feed. Is this alright to feed for life? We don't have (and won't have) a rooster at any point, but it's likely there will often be pullets and hens of various ages.

Also any personal reviews for organic Kalmbach feeds?

My flock is starting to lay and I bought a bag of Kalmbach layer pellets to switch them once they finish their grower feed. However, I think I am going to return it and get starter/grower grumbles instead since we just decided to add some chicks to the mix and it doesn't make sense to switch to layer then back again. With all this im beginning to think I should just keep them all on grower crumbles with oyster shells on the side indefinitely. I am looking at the organic Kalmbach starter/grower and see its 20% protein which is significantly higher than layer feed. Is this alright to feed for life? We don't have (and won't have) a rooster at any point, but it's likely there will often be pullets and hens of various ages.

I switched to kalmbach all flock which is 20% for during molt and they get oyster shell or baked old egg shells on the side. If you have a mixed flock with varying ages or genders the pellets are pretty small and I think it comes in crumble too.

I feed Kalmbach 20% Flock Maker. It's not the organic version -- the store I buy it from carries their organic chick feed, but not this particular feed.

I really like Kalmbach. 20% is a good protein percentage, as I can toss them kitchen scraps or garden weeds and not worry about "diluting" the protein to any large degree.

Know that even in organic feeds, there are some additives that are allowed to be included to get certain critical amino acids into the feed. Methionine is one, and it's essential to a chick's development. There aren't plant sources that are rich enough in it. Thus the addition of a synthetic.

When I had chicks this last May, I feed my entire flock (including 1 rooster) Kalmbach organic chick starter. I slowly transitioned them all to Flock Maker and they all eat that now. I have oyster shell and crushed egg shell on the side for the laying hens.

you might find this guide from the Livestock Conservancy useful:
https://livestockconservancy.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Heritage_Chicken_Feed_Guidelines.pdf

Back
Top Bottom