Increasing protein % to my feed

JonesHomesteadHI

In the Brooder
Jan 9, 2024
Hi all,

I live in Hawaii and the feed options here are extremely limited. Shipping to here is extremely limited/stupidly expensive as well.

I have access to 18% feed here. We have red ranger meat birds and are wanting to have 20-22% for chick starter and 18-20% for grower. What can I add to my feed in what ratio to obtain the desired 2-4% increase in protein?
I have a general idea of what grains/ingredients are higher in protein, but I'm unsure the quantities that I should add to my feed.

TIA!

I use 18% All-flock feed for my chickens... They are not meat birds though. Feed seems to be just fine for me. There is also entry level Layer feed at 16% protein that many peeps use. Barebone minimum for layers.
What is your reason for desiring the higher protein percentage???
Are your meat birds not thriving on what you are providing??
You want faster growth to reduce time to process???
I know that here on the mainland,,, higher protein feed is readily available. For those that need such.
Legumes are a good source of protein,, I am not sure what amount to have added. You may start by offering some cooked beans in a separate dish a few times per week.
Cat food is also a good source of high protein feed. You can offer some quantities to your chickens a few times per week,, in small amounts.
I do offer some to my chickens when they go thru a heavy molt. Chickens do LUV :yesss: cat food. View my Avatar.
Here is something for you to consider,, about added protein. If the protein percentage is too high for chickens' diet ,,, the stools will be runnier, and smellier as well.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

No grain will help. They are all lower protein than the feed - that is why most feeds have non-grain ingredients like soy.

You might consider milk (dried milk would have lower shipping costs and works well). Or meat of any kind that people eat (including fish) and many that people don't usually eat. But not necessarily every cut as some cuts are too fatty. Insects or worms can also work but some (such as meal worms) are too high in fat.

I use 18% All-flock feed for my chickens... They are not meat birds though. Feed seems to be just fine for me. There is also entry level Layer feed at 16% protein that many peeps use. Barebone minimum for layers.
What is your reason for desiring the higher protein percentage???
Are your meat birds not thriving on what you are providing??
You want faster growth to reduce time to process???
I know that here on the mainland,,, higher protein feed is readily available. For those that need such.
Legumes are a good source of protein,, I am not sure what amount to have added. You may start by offering some cooked beans in a separate dish a few times per week.
Cat food is also a good source of high protein feed. You can offer some quantities to your chickens a few times per week,, in small amounts.
I do offer some to my chickens when they go thru a heavy molt. Chickens do LUV :yesss: cat food. View my Avatar.
Here is something for you to consider,, about added protein. If the protein percentage is too high for chickens' diet ,,, the stools will be runnier, and smellier as well.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
Thank you for your advice! Yes, meat birds grow much faster and will be ready to process in less than 3 months. I wish we had more options here, but will continue to research! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom