Are there other feeding options?

Depends on the quantity and quality of the land. A quarter acre of grass will provide next to no nutrition
Grass can be up to 20% of a chicken's nutrition but I suspect that slag includes grass seed and not just the green portion although my hens eat a LOT of green grass and weeds and the more they do, the more golden the yolks. And if it's not cut often, other beneficial weeds will grow that they eat. The bugs and microbiota of the soils, itself, will also provide a huge portion of their diet. That's not grass "alone" obviously, but grass should's be discounted as not nutritious for chickens.

Grass can be up to 20% of a chicken's nutrition but I suspect that slag includes grass seed and not just the green portion although my hens eat a LOT of green grass and weeds and the more they do, the more golden the yolks. And if it's not cut often, other beneficial weeds will grow that they eat. The bugs and microbiota of the soils, itself, will also provide a huge portion of their diet. That's not grass "alone" obviously, but grass should's be discounted as not nutritious for chickens.
I think one of the big nutritional topics that many here don't understand is bioavailability. Not all sources of nutrition are equal

In humans for example, regarding protein, 100% of egg protein is bioavailable (useable) but peanuts for example are only 52% available. So roughly only half of peanut protein is useable by the body, and that's not even going into the topic of complete vs incomplete protein

Grass, like peanuts is incomplete meaning it's useless protein without being combined with the missing essential amino acids that form a complete protein

Chickens eat insects of course so they won't be missing any amino acids, but the bioavailability of grass protein is still likely incredibly low for all animals except highly specialized herbivores
0217_plant2.jpg

I think one of the big nutritional topics that many here don't understand is bioavailability. Not all sources of nutrition are equal

In humans for example, regarding protein, 100% of egg protein is bioavailable (useable) but peanuts for example are only 52% available. So roughly only half of peanut protein is useable by the body, and that's not even going into the topic of complete vs incomplete protein

Grass, like peanuts is incomplete meaning it's useless protein without being combined with the missing essential amino acids that form a complete protein

Chickens eat insects of course so they won't be missing any amino acids, but the bioavailability of grass protein is still likely incredibly low for all animals except highly specialized herbivores
View attachment 3728513
You answered it yourself, chickens eat other stuff besides grass and that will complete the protein they get from grass. It has been said, many times in this thread, that no one expects chickens to eat nothing but grass. But they do certainly eat grass with gusto, maybe just for the sugars, who knows. They can digest it, if they are used to it and have grown the gut biome for it. My dog even eats grass. The juicy bits, not the stems. He digests them. Plus a meadow is so much more than the grass for chickens, of course. I really don’t understand why this is such an issue here.

Hi ! My chicks are finally grown :) I have been receiving precious eggs here and there and this just started a few days ago! However, I do have a question about feed. My chickens are organic. They ate organic starter feed ,& are

pecking at bugs and what not. I also give them scratch. I was wondering if this is correct, to have layer blend as their main source of food, or should they be eating something else? They are all beautiful and healthy and seem to be happy! Thanks 😁

Hi ! My chicks are finally grown :) I have been receiving precious eggs here and there and this just started a few days ago! However, I do have a question about feed. My chickens are organic. They ate organic starter feed ,& are now on organic layer blend (it’s crumbly not pellets) & also free range through out the day pecking at bugs and what not. I also give them scratch. I was wondering if this is correct, to have layer blend as their main source of food, or should they be eating something else? They are all beautiful and healthy and seem to be happy! Thanks 😁
So my chickey's are also organic. We give then layer pellets, they get whenever they want. I also give then organic cauliflower and cabbage, and we give then give them fresh produce thar we have grown pr bought at the store. We also give them dried organic meal worms. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom