Frizzle and color questions

SunAngel

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Chambersburg, Pa.
Do both the hen and roo need to have the frizzle gene to have frizzle babies?

I have a smooth feathered white Cochin bantam that came in a frizzle order from Ideal. If I breed her to a Lavender Cochin roo will I get any babies that are frizzled and what color/s would they possibly be?

Thanks for any help
smile.png

You must have one bird that displays frizzling to get any babies that are frizzled. Only around 50% of the offspring will have frizzled feathers with one bird being frizzled.

Breeding frizzle to frizzle is not recommended. Some of the offspring from such a breeding will be sparsley feathered or they will have feathers that will easily break. Two copies of the frizzle gene act like a lethal gene. There are some reports or organ abnormalities as well.

If you wish to breed frizzles your smooth bird from the frizzle order is an important bird in you program. With that bird the quality of frizzling will be better and you percentage of frizzled offspring will increase. I am glad to hear Ideal has some breeders doing it correctly. In the past many people were very dissapoinnted to have chicks that did not feather out properly and were very sad little critters.

My white Cochin with the frizzle gene is the same size as my other bantam Cochins, but they are smaller in size than my Silkies the same age.

Thanks for the help!

Does anyone know what colors I would get if I paired up the white Cochin hen with the Lavender roo?

Back
Top Bottom