Frizzle Frazzle genes

samichicken

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Hi!
Im going to be hatching eggs soon, and have a question about genetics:
The father is a frizzle, and the mother isn't. Both share the same father, who was a frizzle, and both had mothers who weren't. I want to make sure that if i hatch these eggs i won't get a frazzle (frizzleXfrizzle cross).
Does anyone have any info?

You'll only get frazzles if both parents have the frizzle gene (aka look frizzled).
big_smile.png

It takes both parents with frizzle to make a frizzled. Because frizzled is a ressive gene it would take both frizzle parents and the chances would still only be 25% Theres more to genotype vs. phenotype but we would have to go back a few generations.

Quote:
Frizzled is a DOMINANT gene!! Not to be rude, but look it up before you start giving advice. A frizzled bird bred to a smooth bird will give 50% frizzled birds b/c the trait is DOMINANT. Frizzle to frizzle will give 25% smooth, 50% frizzle, & 25% frazzle which is when they have problems.

Frazzle is just what it's called when they have issues due to a double dose of the frizzle gene.

Exactly--which is also called curley--because the feathers are overly curley. I'm just wondering when people started using a different terminology to refer to the homozygous frizzle.​

Quote:
Exactly--which is also called curley--because the feathers are overly curley. I'm just wondering when people started using a different terminology to refer to the homozygous frizzle.

I don't know...I've always heard it called frazzled...I guess it's just whatever you get use to.
lol.png

It takes both parents with frizzle to make a frizzled. Because frizzled is a ressive gene it would take both frizzle parents and the chances would still only be 25% Theres more to genotype vs. phenotype but we would have to go back a few generations.

You got a bit confused here. The frizzle gene is incompletely dominant.....but even if it had been completely recessive the chances would not have be 25%. With completely recessive traits they can only show when they are homozygous for that trait. So being homozygous they can only pass on the recessive allele thus if both parents were homzygous for the recessive trait 100% of the offspring would show the recessive trait.​

I have heard the Homozygous birds called both Curly and Frazzles. I do agree with the outcome of breeding a Frizzle to a Frizzle as being 25% smooth 50% Frizzled and 25% curly or Frazzled. Some people do breed two frizzled birds and keep only the smooth and Frizzled birds and cull others. The feeling is the best Frizzles come from such a breeding. I have not tried it because it is hard enough to put down sick chicks but knowing you are going to create 25% that needs to be culled has been more than I want to attempt.

Back
Top Bottom