Frizzle HELP!

warmwater

Songster
10 Years
Jun 7, 2009
Today my DH and I went to Rogers Flea Market. He was at the auction for tools and I went to the animal auction. It was my first time actually bidding and I bought a crate with chicks..(didn't even know what kind) just bid on it...crazy! Then I bought 6 EE's about 1-2 days old (knew what they were when I was bidding).

After the auction we went to get our chicks and when we got to the car I opened the crate...4 little white frizzles.

PROBLEM: Whoever had them didn't take good care of them because they are missing a lot of their feathers. What can I do for them? Anything special? For now I have them in a dog crate in the computer room next to the EE's. They were so hungry, they ate non-stop for about 30 minutes. Age? I'm guessing 5-6 wks. old. Because they are missing feathers should I put a light above them for wormth? All and any input will be appreciated.

If you need more pics......no pro
33671_frizzles_002.jpg
blem! Thanks, Renee

What is the ambient temperature in your room? Because at six weeks, they should be able to handle 75 degree temps.

They may need some good nutrition. i recommend Avia Charge 2000 to put in their water. You can order it online from Murray McMurray or Strombergs. It is loaded with vitamins and minerals. Then give them a couple teaspoons of yogurt several times a week. Also offer mashed up hard boiled eggs. And of course, the chick starter (i like the medicated kind to prevent coccidiosis).

You will probably notice a huge improvement with just those simple things. They sure are cuties!

Well, another reason they could be missing feathers would be if they had 2 frizzled parents. Frizzles also feather out pretty funny sometimes too. I have a little cochin frizzle right now who is about the same age as yours, and he has some bald spots that just haven't feathered in quite right yet
lol.png
Glad you got them, and they are getting a good home!!
love.gif
They should be fine as long as it isn't cold where you are at night. My guys have been out in the pen growing up for a few days, and they have adjusted very well - no problems with being too cold or anything like that at night...

Thanks Enchanted, I will order the Avia tonight and get the other items tomorrow...hope they do okay.

Thanks 19hhbelgian, when you said 2 frizzled parents, does that mean they will always be bald in spots or will they eventually feather out with age?

It's about 65 outside...in my computer room it's about 70-75 degrees. Tomorrow it will be warmer (AC vent closed until further notice).

i have a little frizzled mix and she must have been the result of frizzle on frizzle. Her feathers are sparse and then the wing feathers are like little sticks. i have heard that you do not want to breed a frizzle to another, or you end up with problems like this.

My sizzle was very slow to feather out...he was always scraggly looking when the other chicks were fully feathered. Believe me, it was not because of bad care...my chicks are spoiled
cool.png
Then, he started to look great with beautiful feathers...and now he's back to looking scraggly again. I think some frizzles are just like that...maybe from not-so-great breeding practices. I still think that mine "might" be double-frizzled. He's pretty curly and his feathers are brittle, and he has those wing "sticks"...hard sharp feather quills.

I looked at them closer today and it seems like short fuzz is growing where there is skin. Two of them have more feathers than the other two.

I don't know if they are frizzle to frizzle....got them at a flea market auction...sight unseen. Since they were so hungry my DH said to wait and see for a month or so. They will stay in the dog crate in our computer room. I'll take them out and put them in our dog pen to get some fresh air daily.

TXmom do you have any pictures of your frizzle at 5-6 wks old so I can compare feathering?

I'll take more pictures of them so you can see. Thanks

Quote:
This was my first thought, too when I saw them. They are known as "frazzles". If they have 2 frizzle parents, sometimes it happens. Frizzles do sometimes feather out strange. There really isn't much you can do. Just make sure they are eating right and see what happens. The birds themselves are healthy, just uh....bald. You may need to knit them coats this winter...lol. Good luck!

Leah

Back
Top Bottom