Frogs.....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ladybug99, Feb 13, 2013.

1. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    We added 5 cute ducklings to our brood in October, they are now grown and soon to move out of the brooder pen. We are almost finished with their new house and pen. Last spring we built them a pool, but since we had no ducks we had a pond full of tad poles that grew into huge frogs.... we love our frogs.... will the ducks love our frogs too and eat them??? The frogs are huge... between a pound or two each, they are the big noisy bull frog variety.

Ribit Ribit

2. melissamerry

melissamerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2012
    Goleta, California
    theres a small creek running through where I live and my 3 ducks chase the frogs that swim there. Now, my ducks aren't the greatest hunters and can't seem to catch them, but if they could, I bet they would gobble them right up.

What kind of ducks are they? Would they be able to swallow the frogs? They sound huge!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I saw one of my Muscovy's eat a small frog once but not sure if they could eat a bull frog. what breed are your ducks?

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    My ducks love frogs. They play keep away, follow the leader, tug of war and other such games. They don't often eat them, just play with them.
    Mostly the green tree frogs. The bull frogs they poke and leave alone.

5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I saw one Old Lady eat a frog. The others chased her and tried to steal it, but she was determined and she ate it.

6. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I have three Pekings and two Swedish.. middle sized ducks. My chickens will tear little frogs to shreds I was just wondering about the frogs with the ducks, I am going to assume the frogs will move out if they are threatened by the ducks. I don't know if ducks are good hunters or not. The ducks are afraid of most things that move so they will probably be afraid of the frogs too LOL

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Hmm probably depends, i would assume if the frogs feel threatened they will move on, my 'scovies are sorta hostile to stuff like that, heck they went after a rabbit! when it tried to come near an area and yes frogs, butterflies, and i wouldn't think a mouse would dare come close lol

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have a small 100 gal pond off my patio, with pond gold fish in it, we had bullfrogs for quite a few years even hatched some froglets but the last couple years they have been scarce I am thinking between the ducks/geese and chickens they decided to move on even though the pond is fenced in so none of my flock has actual access to it. I'm kind of glad they moved on though because one year my gold fish hatched babies and the frogs ate them, we caught one red handed with a baby goldfish in it's mouth. so maybe one of these days I'll have baby fish again.

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Too funny! we have a 90GaL and our pond fish bred a few years ago, oddly enough the ducks rarely visit the pond it's right in front of our house so probably too loud, they do on occasion take a quicky bath but never bothered the fish, thankfully nor touched the frogs there(tons of them too)

You actually got me thinking, we had a HUGE frog last year and my new Koi magically disappeared the fish winter in the house.. we never saw him float but never found him... hmmmmm

10. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you thought of a heron? They even visit ponds very close to a house.

We once had a nice asmall pond with goldfish and frogs, but when the ducks were turned loose on that pond (they were not supposed to go there but they broke out of their pen), the fish were scared to death and the frogs moved out because the ducks disturbed them.
    I guess it depends on the size of the pond, when it is large, the amphibians may have a sactuary were they can hide from the ducks, but small ponds will not provide that kind of safety.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by